good ol' problems... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2002, 10:33   #1 (permalink)
anitgravity

good ol' problems...

Hey,

Just wondering if any of you guys in here would know what this noise could possibly be..

Basically, it's a very slight, but noticable rattling type noise coming from the front of the engine. I've narrowed it down to the front of the engine, where the belts and fan are. It's not a screeching sound, but a slight rattling sound, that you can notice, even in the car, if your next to another car, or wall or something.

Also, another worrying noise.. basically i'm getting a ****ed suspension noise coming from the front left suspension. This is going to be a really stupid attempt at trying to tell you what it sounds like, but you know in movies when there is a shitbox car, with rooted suspension, and it makes that noise as it bounces up and down... well that's what it sounds like. Like a bouncing noise. I bought a set of lowered kingsprings about 3 months ago, and didn't replace the shocks or anything. My own conclusion (without knowing shit) is that maybe one of the bushes is rooted??

I dunno, but i thought i'd ask in here before i get some jerk mechanic crapping on to me and forcing me to replace everything in the setup to get rid of the noise..

Newayz, thanks people..

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2002, 10:39   #2 (permalink)
antigravity

re.

Just read the other topic about worrying sounds from the engine, and realised that maybe it could be the lifters? i don't even know what these are.. but on startup i do have a loud "cracking" sound for a few seconds before it stops. It doesn't have ne effect on performance, and it never stalls, and during idle i do have a very slight clicking sound, but it's not the same sound as on startup. It's not as loud, and it's a different rythym.. (so to speak).

Ne help would be great...

Dave
Old 04-09-2002, 10:44   #3 (permalink)
ben

Re: re.

if you can hear a rattle from inside the car its probably your exhaust, look under the car for any cracks as these can often sound like they are coming from the front of the engine

otherwise check your oil level....otherwise it could just need some kind of cylinder head service, like a hydraulic tapet has gone wayyy out of wack, or lifters etc... shouldnt be toooo expensive if this is the only problem, you should be able to get it quoted pretty cheap though

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 11:03   #4 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

noises

A slight rattling noise could be your timing chain tensioners. THey have a habit of breaking or coming loose.
The lifters are more of a ticking noise.
If the rattling sends vibrations through your car but goes away when you accelerate then it could be one of your engine mounts.

--ath0-- ....gone
Zomwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 12:16   #5 (permalink)
HB

HB

it could be the Harmonic balancer, is it only there on idle and light revs?
Old 04-09-2002, 22:07   #6 (permalink)
antigravity

re.

I'm not sure whether it's just on idle and low revs, basically because if I rev it any higher, the sound of the engine drowns out the actually rattling noise. I'll take it down to the mechanics and get them to have a look at it. So we'll see what happens...

Thanks guys for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech