GOT SPARK! Now what's wrong with the timing? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2003, 03:01   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

frown GOT SPARK! Now what's wrong with the timing?

Hey guys,

Finally, after calling a auto electrician we have spark in the newly converted MPI system. Now something else bad has gone wrong. Whenever we set the timing (set it 3 times, getting better at it!) and try and start the car it backfires hardcore through the inlet manifold and lets out a gush of fire and oil. It also throws the timing out so it won't start again.

This has happened 3 times so far and I do not want to bother setting the timing again until I definitely know that either I am doing something wrong or that something else needs to be adjusted before starting the car again.

Does anyone know what this could be?!?!? I'm ****ing stumped and lacking motivation at the moment. This is the 5th day of the MPI conversion and I don't want a 7th!

PLEASE HELP!

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2003, 03:06   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like you might have the timing out 180deg.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:11   #3 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

yep, trace the plug wire from number one cylinder's spark plug to the dizzy cap, make a note of what position it is at, rip the dizzy cap off with the engine on TDC, make sure that the rotor is pointing where the number one spark plug lead was. I think you will find its pointing in the opposite direction ( 180deg's out )

Oh and make sure you are on the right stroke by removing the first spark plug, stick your finger in the hole, then turn the engine over by hand, when u feel a gush of air pass your finger you are on the right stroke

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 03:19   #4 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

If the timing isn't 180 out, try moving the dizzy a bit more forward or backwards before starting it. I had the same sorta problem when I had my dizzy out, timing was correct but it would backfire outta the T/B or run like shit for a few seconds and die. I just moved the dizzy around a tiny bit till it ran and then reset base timing.
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 03:19   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Well here's what I did :

*Turned crank by hand to TDC mark on crank pulley
*Pulled out no. 1 plug and felt if the piston was up with a screwdriver
*Took out dizzy and re-positioned it on the TDC line
*Replaced dizzy cap
*Tried starting, no luck.

It was definitely not 180 degrees out!

Am I doing something wrong?
Old 05-08-2003, 03:38   #6 (permalink)

Cam timing. Drive belt slipped on its hub. Injectors firing in correct group. Dizzy hall effect changed for mpefi.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 03:39   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

huh?

Sundeep
Old 05-08-2003, 03:50   #8 (permalink)

Cam timing. Drive belt slipped on its hub. Injectors firing in correct group. Dizzy hall effect changed for mpefi

Have you made sure all of these are correct.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 04:46   #9 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Sundeep,

Althought the piston was up, was it on the compression stroke?

Your obviously getting fuel if it is backfiring,
I would say you still have the dizzy out by 180*

9psi EB
Old 05-08-2003, 05:20   #10 (permalink)
donuts2001

I think it's simply a timing issue. The EA's are very sensitive to changes in timing from the dizzy. Twice now after doing some work on the engine, the car wouldn't start and both times it turned out to be ignition timing. It could be that, but if your getting backfiring through the intake that means your timing is severly advanced.

Another thing, you say it's not 180 degree's out because the piston is at the top of the cylinder. The piston goes up and down twice for every 1 turn of the cam and dizzy rotor. When people say you are 180 degree's out they mean compared to the camshaft. Pop your rocker cover off, and check that the mark on the cam gear is facing almost inline with the right hand side side of the head. Then set your dizzy so that the dizzy rotor is about 1cm further clockwise then the number 1 mark on the dizzy.

One last thing, make sure the dizzy is fully engaged with the oil pump sprocket which is underneith it. If it's not, you will be able to feel a little gap between the bottom of the dizzy and the block.

I'd be checking all those things, that will eliminate most of your backfiring issues assuming your wiring is all right. After doing all these things, you may find that the car won't backfire through the intake but still won't start. If thats the case that means your timing is now only slightly out and you will need to turn the dizzy a little bit in both directions until you find the right spot.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech