Grinding Noise, Help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2003, 05:21   #1 (permalink)

Grinding Noise, Help!

Guys I've got a problem,

just recently i've noticed a worryingly loud grinding noise coming from the front end of the car at low speeds. I'm sure it happens at all speed but it's only noticable from the cabin at low speeds. It's present more often than not, but I can't tell why it disappears sometimes. Turning the wheel does seem to set it off, but it does happen without turning the wheel too..

My 3speed has gone to hell and is in dire need of a swap over. Could it be the 3speed? Could it somehow have something to do with my brake pads as they're due for a change too..

Please help, I'm dying here!!
Dave.

PS. I just started uni and in the parking lots the speed bumps are very high and cause the bottom of my car to scrape, and sometimes bang quite hard against them. Could it be because of this? Could I sue them!?!?! heheheh :)
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2003, 08:10   #2 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

check your brake pads soon. If they are worn, you want to replace them before they do damage to the disc.. could save you $300. just take the wheel off and look BOTH sides of the disc for grooves. If there are none, make sure there is plenty of meat on the pad. I think the MINIMUM is 1mm (I don't know if its the Falcon or a Probe) but it is this much.. Replace them.
<b><font color="#000080"><font face="Arial" size="2">1992 EB Falcon GL [ </font></font><font face="Arial" size="1" color="#0000FF">Series 1</font><font color="#000080" face="Arial" size="2"> ]</font></b><br><font face="Arial" size="1"><a href="http://discussions.fordforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37673">4 Speed Auto with Shift Mod</a><br>Interior Neons<br>MPFI Conversion [sn]</font>
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 09:16   #3 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

I had the same symptoms, turned out my timing chain and timing gears were totally ****ed and clogged with dried up oil, it cost a fair few dollars to fix!
Old 03-12-2003, 13:45   #4 (permalink)

Let's hope it's the brakes.
Old 03-12-2003, 17:20   #5 (permalink)

mummy!!!!!! :(
Old 03-12-2003, 17:23   #6 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Can you hear it when the cars stationary, like at the lights?
Old 03-12-2003, 20:03   #7 (permalink)

No, it only happens when I'm moving. But it can make a noise even at the slightest crawl.. But not when I'm completely still.

Hopefully this rules out the timing chain because if it was the timing chain then it would still make noise if I was standing still yeah?
Old 03-12-2003, 20:50   #8 (permalink)
Driver of a BA XR8!

I've had a similar problem in one of my Taxi's, like other above have said it could be your pads, but also check that one of your wheel bearing hasn't seized! If it is the bearing, you will need to change the suspension upright.

Good luck and hope it's only the pads.

Alex

"Give me any task to do, and I will find something else to do in it's place." Plato - a definition of procrastination
maco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 20:53   #9 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

yup, it doesn't take long to rip your wheel off.. just take a quick peak.. have you noticed a decrease in your braking ability?

When my brakes were gone.. I flinched everytime I heard the noise.. it sounds really bad.

it was worse at a slower pace for me.
<b><font color="#000080"><font face="Arial" size="2">1992 EB Falcon GL [ </font></font><font face="Arial" size="1" color="#0000FF">Series 1</font><font color="#000080" face="Arial" size="2"> ]</font></b><br><font face="Arial" size="1"><a href="http://discussions.fordforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37673">4 Speed Auto with Shift Mod</a><br>Interior Neons<br>MPFI Conversion [sn]</font>
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 21:16   #10 (permalink)

It makes a very similar sound to when the pads are down to the metal and you try and break...

Only problem is, it makes that sound when I don't press the brakes! What funny is, it seems to happen more often than not when I have the steering wheel pointed left..

ah, i hate cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech