gutting cat converter - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2004, 23:09   #1 (permalink)

gutting cat converter

hey guys. i got a 2.5 inch exauhst put on my wagon with only one muffler but i want it louder. the guy said extractors wont make it any louder, just smoother or sumthing. but he said he can gut the cat and put a 2.5 inch pipe through it and this will make it louder. is this true? any side effects? this is only costing me $50 aswell so if it will make it louder i think i will get it done. cheers
joelburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2004, 23:13   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: gutting cat converter

Unless you run straight gas, or have 10,000 at least in your pocket to pay the EPA for this illegal mod, go for it ....... NOT

Straight Gas is fine for this mod as it will pass EPA and is a good idea to keep Mr plod believing your system on visual inspection is legit, if you run un-leaded AT ALL, then expect to get hit with a big fine and not worth it IMO.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 23:22   #3 (permalink)
known as tibbo

spend an extra 100 or so and get a decent hi-flo cat ... Gutted cats wouldn't do diddly to the volume of the gas...
It is just a plain bad idea to do that.. They are there for a reason, think of your kids and the enviroment instead of a touch more performance
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 23:26   #4 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelburden
any side effects?
One minor one - it is illegal, as Delboy said there are big fines etc. Is it really worth it for a minor difference?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 23:56   #5 (permalink)

i was just doing it purely for the sound. he said extractors will not make it louder so is there any other way to get more noise? i actualy do only run gas because my fuel pump is broken and im not getting it fixed. will this be a good enuf exuse for the cops? would they actualy check this sorta thing because it will still look normal. anyone done this to their car?
Old 12-02-2004, 00:02   #6 (permalink)
known as tibbo

i dont have a cat at all... It is dedicated gas and although i would pass emmisions it is still illegal to remove or modify the cat afaik.. Funny thing is my car had passed every DOT inspection it had even wiothout one...
I would still stick to what i said before... I cant see a gutted cat making any difference to the sound of the system at all... Replace it with a hi-flo unit, or extractors.. IMO good headers should make a difference to the volume as the exhuast gas pulses flow more consistently, giving you a better note not withstanding the increase in performance
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 00:39   #7 (permalink)

ok then maybe i should just get both if its not something that actualy gets checked for? the cat will still be there to it just wont work so how would they tell?
Old 12-02-2004, 01:31   #8 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

i got a second hand high flow cat from the zorst place when i got my extractors fitted. its off a commodore but thats not important. it cost me $30.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:39   #9 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelburden
the guy said extractors wont make it any louder, just smoother or sumthing.
Ignoring the illegal notion of gutting a cat, whoever said extractors dont make your car louder is, in 99% of cases, full of crappola.
I cant say for everyone but, in every case I've ever come across with car running a stock manifold v's extractors, the extractors have always been louder (all things being equal from the cat back). Not only that, they improve the engine efficiency.

Just get the extractors.......and go somewhere else because the person who told you this is an idiot.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:32   #10 (permalink)

oh ok then. thanks for that it is actualy what i thought aswell that extractors must make it louder. im looking at some s/h extractors so how much should they cost to get fitted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech