GXL76 is about to be restored! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2003, 00:07   #1 (permalink)

GXL76 is about to be restored!

Hi Guys,
I need your help. Im finally in a position to do some serious work to my Fairmont GXL. Ive worked hard all year to save money for this project and im finally looking at restoring the old girl.
The main emphasis of the project is the bdy. When i finally inherited the car, the body was and still is real bad.
Im talking about stuff that panel beaters are able to fix no worries, like lower door rust, lower panel rust, etc. I got rust under the vinyl roof (C-pillars, etc) but ill get rid of the vinyl.
I know some people will tell me its not worth fixing, but to be honest it's still a clean car and mechanically its great.
I have a friend whose uncle is a panel beater and he qouted me $2000 if i supply all the rust repair sections (from rare spares). That qoute includes all rust repair and a decent paint job.
Does that sound cheap to you guys. I want the job done properly and im prepared to pay a little more for quality.
Can anyone recommend any good panel beaters in melbourne. I went to New Oak Ford panel shop and they told me they wouldnt do it for less than 10G. But that would be a complete ground up bare metal rebuild.
I'd really apreciate your help and advise.
gxl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2003, 00:29   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: GXL76 is about to be restored!

The 2k sounds like a pretty good price. I'd go with that, and enjoy the car. But I'd have a look at some of his work first. If you blew 10k on the body work, and then sell it, you would loose a lot.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:23   #3 (permalink)
kickerinthegutsbarry

ah but if you spent 10g on a decent job and kept the car the warrnty on the job would be worth the xtra cash(shop around of course,but most good panel shops offer 5yr-lifetime warrnty). spend 2g and your gunna have trouble. a bare metal respray cutting out rust from all lower sections and removing a vinal top and fixing a rusty roof,250-300 hrs? I wouldnt touch it at home for under 4000.

apolloxbgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 21:08   #4 (permalink)

On something that old you would have to do a bare metal respray anyway, so pay the extra money and you will be happy with it.
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 21:24   #5 (permalink)

That sure gives me plenty to think about. I'll definetely look around for a good qoute. As i said, i dont mind spending a little more. Even around 4G sounds good, just so long as it'll be a real good job and i wont worry about it rusting anytime soon.

Thanks guys.
When its done ill put the photos up!!!!!
Old 11-15-2003, 22:45   #6 (permalink)

Hey

there are shops out there that do just that, resto repaints , not just insurance smash work.

Ten k is up there but they have no real right to say untill its striped . Not sure of many shops that have an xray machine.

Defeantily a save if you strip it your self . e.g and then have it bead or sand blasted what ever turns out towards the budget. This way theres no come back from old repairs .

Give it to the panel guy with all the parts and say there you go. ...

Even purchase the paint and what ever .

Then they could retune it to you with new paint and panels and you can go a head with it the trinkets and what ever.

Biggest problem with a genreal smash shop the take it on , all in good faith to get it done and then the inadated with smash work. ops it finds a corner and stays there.

you have to befirm and even get a bit legal advice as to how to argue the fact , cos as mentioned above a simple striaght forward job like yours can be turned in to a nightmare over night .

best of luck and do not be affarid to push em.
slothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:11   #7 (permalink)
kickerinthegutsbarry

Sorry gxl,
I wasn't actually trying to drum up work for myself, more trying to illustrate my point that for a 2g job you would certainly get what you pay for, for example, say 250 hrs to be done properly (I dont have a crystal ball so this is for arguments sake) so $2000/250hrs = $8 phr !? This is not taking into account any material costs, I just spent $750 on paint and primer alone for my xf ute without filler, sandpaper, sanding discs the list goes on.

So what is my point? Obviesly anyone who gives you a price this low is going to cut corners, and in the long run going to make you car worse and your wallet even lighter.

Slothman made some very good points to save you some money if you have basic mechanical skills, but stick to one of better shops. Let me know where you are in vic and I might be able to recommend a shop, we tend to here who does the better work, or more impotantly who doesn't, around the traps.

So good luck, there are a lot of dodgy bastards out there that give us all a bad name, I hope you dont strike one.

Ant

Old 11-20-2003, 03:22   #8 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Which shop do you work at Apollo if you dont mind me asking,I know a few panel shop owner's/worker's.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:04   #9 (permalink)
kickerinthegutsbarry

Hattam st body repairs for last 18 months (might of seen the white xe ghia there?) but going to Tingays in castlemain as of next week.

Old 11-20-2003, 21:38   #10 (permalink)

I live in Dandenong, Victoria. There are heaps of car/panel shops in Dandenong but its just finding a good one thats the problem.
I'm certinaly tempted to spend more money for quality, its just finding a limit. Ive basically got a choice to make. Ive been thinking about doing some study (but that brings in no money). Then again, i could keep my crappy factory job (which actually pays quite well) and finance this project of mine.
Doesnt really sound like a hard decision does it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech