harmonic balancer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2003, 16:24   #1 (permalink)
kcoyne

Question harmonic balancer

I have a 1994 Ford Tempo and am having a problem with it and I hope someone can help me. When my car is in reverse, drive, 1st or 2nd gear there is a rattling/clicking noise coming from the right side of the engine. When driving it, you hear the noise continuously. I had it looked at by a friend and he said it is the harmonic balancer. Is this easy to change?? I'd appreciate any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2003, 18:59   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: harmonic balancer

are you having problems with your belts? are they shredding?

Unfortunately, it's not a job you want to do yourself. Ford engineers, in their wisdom, put the engine about an inch away from the car's frame. And the harmonic balancer is 2-inches deep. So you have to disconnect the motor mounts and move the engine in order to change it. It'll cost you a couple of hundred bucks to have someone else do it for you, but it's one of those jobs where it's well worth it. Unless you don't really mind losing your knuckles.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech