Help!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2003, 00:33   #1 (permalink)
Shaken Not Stirred

Help!!

I am trying to get my power steering belt off, it shit itself...
IT an 88 EA. iI am trying to adjust the idler pully, to allow some slack to get the bast#!d thing off! It wont budge!!!
Do I just turn the large Teethed) nut to adjust it, or slacken that funny starry shaped nut first? If so with what?
I have tried everything to turn the large nut, but im buggered if I can get it off!
Please, help me! What can I do?

Thanks
the_scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2003, 02:07   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

The big nut in the idler pully needs to be losened first with a 24mm ring spanner. The little nut that has a funny shape is actually a double hex and from memory fits a 13mm double hex socket. The little one is the one that will move the pully up and down.

If you dont have a 24mm ring spanner use a socket to losten the power steering but you will need a ring spanner and a 13mm socket at the same time when reinstalling it as you need to keep the tension on it as you tighten the big nut again. I am naughty and use a pair of vicegrips on the big nut

Incidentally the alternator and waterpump belt is the other way round - the little nut is to loosen and the big to adjust.

Hope this helps
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech