HELP!! Changing fuel pump - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2002, 22:30   #1 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

HELP!! Changing fuel pump

Hey guys,

Whats the easiest was to change the fuel pump??? I'll be buggered if i can get the clamp undone that goes around the pump. I don't want to have to remove the tank as it's still 3/4 full and there is no way i'll lift it back up again! Any ideas?? I'm desperate, i need to get it done before tomorrow!

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2002, 01:17   #2 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

Good luck mate. Whe I had a go at it I took the tank out and still couldnt get the fuel pump undone. Sorry I cant help you there.

--ath0-- ....gone
Zomwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 02:34   #3 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

my dad made a tool for his ZL fairlane that luckily fitted the plastic screw cap holding my fuel pump in my EB. was a bent piece of metal that slotted around the plastic fins, and had a nut welded on the top for use with a spanner.. make that, or use a screwdriver/hammer job..(and break some fins off while you're at it)

but i take it you're referring to that large ring clamp that goes around the outside of the plastic cap thing? well i used my little slim sidchrome spanner on that(8 mil, if memory serves) and it took me ages, doing little by little, thanks to the tiny gaps. started at the spot where the screw was then had to slide it around to where the most room was, coz the fact that it was loose was causing it to flex, which didnt help me any.

basicly i'm saying its very much possible, but a major pain. hope that helps.

ps: dont run your tank dry. doing that killed my pump.

Previous ride: EBII V8 Manual Ghia spring roll.
Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
jmartion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 15:21   #4 (permalink)

I had to take the tank out of mine, even though mine was still 1/2 full. It was a pain but it had to be done, as all the other times i had hit it to get me to where i had to go when it didnt start made it just not want to go anymore!
Good luck is all i can say, but its a lot easier to take the tank out...
Old 12-10-2002, 15:26   #5 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

I got it finally. I had to fiddle with the ring clamp for ages to get it undone. I then copped a mouthful of fuel while syphoning some out To get the black retaining ring off, I just used an old ratchet and a hammer and belted it undone.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 15:33   #6 (permalink)

well done :)
Once the ring is undone and the connectors are undone its fairly easy to get the pump out and change it.
Just shows anythings possible if you really want it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech