HELP! Fuel Economy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2003, 20:28   #1 (permalink)

confused HELP! Fuel Economy

Hi Everyone

Need help with my EF Fairmont I6. Only mods is K&N panel filter and 2.5 inch sport exhaust. Fuel economy is very poor at the moment. The car can only achieve 4.5Km - 6.0Km/L. The car struggles to get near 400Km to the tank. Any suggestions?

I may try to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it and taking it for a spin. But any other thoughts. Been told that changing the fuel filter may help. Has anyone had the same experience?

All input would be greatly appreciated.
PEGASUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2003, 23:38   #2 (permalink)
98 EL Fairmont

I get about the same on my EL, and I tend to have a heavy foot so to speak.

I'd see that sort of fuel consumption as normal, and found a little light footed driving could easily drop my fuel consumption into the 13L/100km. On average I get around 360km before the red light comes on and I show ~40km left in the tank according to my trip computer - and I'd try to avoid running it any lower than that :o
St00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:12   #3 (permalink)

just do all the usual service things, like new dizy cap and leads, new spark plugs, rotor button.. it all makes a difference, but injector cleanor makes the biggest difference i reckon. i get around 600km/tank in my ea 5sp mpfi, which i'm pretty happy with
snotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:04   #4 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

You get 400 km, lucky bastard i only got 350km last week maybe i should slow down
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:21   #5 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Fuel Economy

Hi mate, what type of fuel are you running it her and also what type of driving style to you have. Are you always booting it or are you very conservative. Also is the city KM's or Country KM's. it sounds pretty close to being right if its City KM but if its a bit of a mixture i would be checking it out thats for sure. I was getting around 650km out of a full tank that was city and Country driving.
AUPS
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:36   #6 (permalink)
Hanging Around

You's are all doing well......

Bad economy is like mine, 180km on a full tank....
Old 06-03-2003, 18:53   #7 (permalink)

Guys thanks very much for all your replies

AU1SIXA
The car runs on Optimax. The car is only used for suburban driving and driving is always conservative apart from the one or two occassional take off from the lights.

At least now I have an idea what others are getting out of their cars. I'll do the ECU reset and I'll see if it make a difference. I will keep u all informed.
PEGASUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 18:58   #8 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

I was getting 350k's out of my eb - had the injectors cleaned, and then I was getting 500k's out of a tank; BTW both were around town figures... May be worthwhile getting your injectors cleaned.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech