Help, I need a new alternator ???? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2001, 14:51   #1 (permalink)

mad Help, I need a new alternator ????

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any body could recomend somwhere or someone that could provide me with a replacement alternator and install it for my 1995 Probe with a KL-03 2.5 V6.

My car has done approx 173,000kms and have noticed the volt meter behaving strangley over the last couple of days. I have measured the output (when cold) and it is about 14.5 volts, and when it is hot it hovers between 18 to 19.5 (not too good). The battery is also under 2 years old so hopefully I wont have to replace that as well (cost $170 last time!!!!!).

Oh yeah, I am located in the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne if that helps.

Thanks

Andrew.
95ProbeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2001, 15:21   #2 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

I think you may only need to replace the voltage regulator on the back of the alternator, but i am not sure what is used on the probes so don't quote me on that
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 15:41   #3 (permalink)

I had a look at the Haynes manual and it says to replace the alternator and voltage regulator as a single unit?????

Never had a close look at one of these things, where would I get a separate regulator from????

Thanks

Andrew
Old 10-24-2001, 15:56   #4 (permalink)

Bad news I'm afraid. The alternator should be a Hitachi with internal reg. From hazy memory it is buried under the rear bank. These things aren't cheap to replace although I've been told for some reason Ford and Mazda charge different prices. Best bet is talk to an auto elec.
Old 10-24-2001, 16:49   #5 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Speak to Joe at Frost Auto Electrics in abbotsford.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 16:56   #6 (permalink)

Here's the deal,

Went to my local Fraud Dealer and they wanted $2200 for a replacement alternator, but because the girl behind the counter she would sell it to me for $1500.

Went a little further down the road to the local Mazda dealer and request a price on an alternator and after the guy had stopped laughing he looked it up on his computer and came back with a price of $1600.

I then went home and called a mobile auto electrician and he came and had a look at it and didnt know the car could not work out who made the alternator and would call me on monday. Monday came and he advised that they still didnt know what it was and advised me to take it to another auto electrician to see if they could work it out (not very happy at this stage)

Drove the car down to Cherry Automotive (Andrew) ph:9781 3666 and he (within the first five minutes) was able to work out who made it (Mitisubisihi) and give me a rough quote on how much it is going to cost to repair. The inital quote that he gave me was between $380- 450 and the exact quote worked out to be $390 with a 12 month 50,000km warranty.

Very happy with the service that he provide and the car runs better that ever.

Andrew
Old 10-29-2001, 19:37   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Good stuff mate, it gos to show it's worth checkina round $1500 is a rip off despite you bargained with the girl from $2200.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 00:08   #8 (permalink)

$2200?:fmad: How the hell can they charge that much for a bloody alternator? Still cheaper then $4500 for a mercedes alternator. BTW was it where I thought it was? Just wondering as it has been a few years since I last looked at one of those engines.
Old 10-30-2001, 02:07   #9 (permalink)
Chromed Member

$170 for a battery ?$?$?$?$?

jeezus christ.

i know its a special one and all that, but if you ever need one (or anybody else) let me know cos Im also the Apollo, Global Yuasa and Mercury battery agent for Albury and surrounding areas, but I can put you onto a rep closest to you and get a sweeeet deal!!

:crazy2:
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 14:22   #10 (permalink)

FTEfan - the alternator is located on the left hand side of the engine bay in front of the front bank of the V6, with the AC compressor below it and the radiator and radiator fans blocking an easy removal.

Botch - Thanks for the offer mate. will remember that.

Thanks again guys.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech