HELP! My car handles like a boat! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2002, 03:58   #1 (permalink)

HELP! My car handles like a boat!

Seriously, Every time I turn a corner, I hear a little voice saying something like "hoist the mainsail!" or "man overboard!" or something. Maybe I am goin nuts...

Anyway, I have an ED Fairmont, I want to lower it (but not heaps because of the crap roads I drive on). It is getting 17 inch "Speedy Longchamps" wheels on wednesday, so that will help, but it needs more work.

My question is then, what is the best solution? XR6 springs and shocks all round? Or Kings Low and koni's? or what? And what sort of money am I looking at?

Help! I need a better excuse to drive around with kegs full of rum...
peter_vod69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2002, 04:18   #2 (permalink)

New Bushes (superpro)
Kings Superlow springs
Decent lowered shocks (Koni, Bilstein etc)
Larger sway bar
Decent tyres

That should do the trick:s6:

Took my car through the Great Ocean Road with the above setup (except the swaybar) the other day and it seemed to handle quite well.
Only the mudflaps were bottoming-out so its probably at just the right height
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 02:01   #3 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
...Only the mudflaps were bottoming-out so its probably at just the right height
I don't recall that being your thoughts at the time, hehehe.
Old 10-09-2002, 22:48   #4 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

peter_vod69, you need King KFFL-26 springs in front and King KFRL-27 springs in the back plus Bilstein short body shockies ("Sprint" spec) - you'll be laughing. If the rear ends up being too low for your taste then you can get 10mm rear spring spacers from Superpro which fix the stance perfectly - a stance with front and rear the same with half fuel can result in arse low look (yuck!) with even a fairly small extra load on board - so just that 10mm of spacing makes a big improvement.

Those "short body" shockies are not very much shorter than std - there'd be barely an inch worth of difference.

Personally I think it'd be well worth your while seriously considering putting the Bilsteins in first and see how you feel about the handling - I strongly suspect that you'll be hugely impressed plus keep good ground clearance and load capacity. I'm actually running std height rear springs with the short body rear Bilsteins with no problem (have KFFL-26 springs in front tho - so I have a "bum up" look at the moment but that suits me - handles fan-bloody-tastic even like that!). In short, IMO Bilsteins with std springs will probably see you handling as good if not better than any other type of shocky with low springs.

BTW, I have tried Koni Yellow shockies too - I now vote Bilstein all the way - 'nough said?
Old 10-09-2002, 23:09   #5 (permalink)

I have lowered springs (not King) and Bilsteins in my EB and it is great! Standard swaybars still though. I drive my car pretty sedately so I don't think the expense is justified.

Here are some prices on Bilsteins (they are a couple of years old so just use them as a guide...).

Front Shocks Price $210 each
Rear Shocks Price $170 each
(Includes GST)

www.quadrantsuspensions.com.au

Springs you should be able to get for around $120 a pair (plus fitting - rear is DIY, front you'll probably need a mechanic).

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 03:41   #6 (permalink)
CRF500

Peter, just get rid of the old girl and get yourself a NEW BARRA XR6T, you'll just love it.
Old 11-04-2002, 16:08   #7 (permalink)

Go to Whiteline and get a works kit. Gives you everything down to new rear trailing arms and bushes.
Don't bother mucking around with king springs and other shocks. Whiteline have done all this work for you.
KDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 18:05   #8 (permalink)
four cylinders, phhht!!!

i had fulcrum do mine full rebuild in the front end and springs shocks and rubbers in the back,king springs and fulcrum shocks.
cost me $1000 but that was 60 % off u do the math, my girlfriends dad is good mates with the owner
on_its_nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech