Ford Forums banner

Help needed on spring choice

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  b-juggles 
#1 ·
Hey all,

my bro is getting new springs and shocks. He is going for pedders sports ryders shocks, but is unsure whether to go for low or super low king springs.

By how much does king low drop the car by, and how much does super low drop the car by?

Are super lows legal (ie allow legal clearances etc)

And is it true that superlows actually REDUCE car handling?

I would REALLY REALLY apreciate it if ppl with KING low's and superlows could measure the distance between the edge of the rim closest to the road to the start of the wheel arch just so he could get an idea on how it will sit?

He is set on getting KING springs, so any other info on these would be great. I have had a look on there website quickly, but cant find any exact numbers.

Sorry for the long post

thanks

Brendan

See less See more
#2 ·
Go super lows. I bought them for my ED but didnt get to use them. I crashed the car. The springs are now on my mates EF XR6 and the back doesnt even look that low. The wheels are just below the guards. The super lows should give you legal clearances and if you take bad bumps with care you wont scrape.
I have superlows on my XF and they are great and just legal. They only bottom out going over train tracks too fast but that is because i havent replaced my front shocks with better ones yet.

I think Jack travis has Lows and Rollin I think has superlows.
If you can find where they have posted i think thay both have links to see both of their cars to tell the difference.
Jacks is an EA and Rollin has an EB XR6 so that should show you the difference.
Superlows drop the car 40 - 50 mms while the lows drop the car 25-30 or there abouts.
Cheers
Dan

#3 ·
Ive got Kings Superlows and its not low enough, but it'll do. Dropped probably 1.5in over stock XR Height, if that. Its easily legal

Handling is a little better, and so is the ride. Not so 'jittery' any more.
Doesnt scrape, but im pretty careful.(except for the mudflaps)

My mates still stir me up by asking when am I going to lower it :1poke: :BW:

Just measured the distance between the ground and the middle of the guard and it is 66cm both front and back. Wouldnt complain if I woke up one day and it was sitting at 62cm....

#4 ·
yeah i have superlows, 2" lower than stock EB but only 1" lower than XR (they were dropped an inch from factory).

i would love to go lower but legalities and insurance are stopping me, i believe you can never go low enough!!! i might try and get some front struts that are modded to drop the front 1cm or so to make it sit level, but that is a future mod. wheels are only the stocko 15" jobbies, so 17s will fill the guards better and make the car sit a little higher off the ground but have less tyre to guard clearance, so it will look lower.

my measurements are (centre of rim to guard) 33cm all round, but the back looks lower, i dont know why, maybe the visual weight of the cabin or something makes it look like that. i think it would sit at about 34cm at the back if i had no stereo, pics on website, link in signature.

and i agree with Martin, i would not be unhappy if i walked outside and found the car sitting at 30cm from centre to guard!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.