help. vibration above 70km - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2004, 02:01   #1 (permalink)

help. vibration above 70km

hi

need some help pin-pointing a problem, and unfortunately my friendly local ford mechanic, proved as useless as tits on a bull, resulting in a spray from myself after realising they had not even come close the problem.

i have a 96 xh s ute, automatic and am getting a vibration from my driveline once my vehicle hits overdrive around 70km mark and above and remains constant until it drops back to a lower gear where things are smooth sailing. so far i have ruled out engine and gearbox mounts, and the gearbox was only overhauled 18 months ago with a new torque convertor. is it also normal for oil pressure gauge to be right on the limit at the top which i noticed on the highway and dropping back in town conditions.

has anyone else ever experience this problem and might be able to identify it for me and the service team at ford?(not they will get the business from now on) any help muchly appreciated.
mattxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2004, 02:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: help. vibration above 70km

did u check uni joints, tailshaft for balance,and also wheels. could be from any part of drivetrain, start at wheels , unis then maybe have drive shaft balanced ...
Old 08-17-2004, 04:10   #3 (permalink)

As anyone would have to guess what the cause is I'll start,you don't mention if there is a loss of power so does it have a misfire with increased engine load, torque conv lockup clutch, auto trans, bent pinion flange, bent axle
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:34   #4 (permalink)

I would not be happy with high oil pressure -- especially "right on the limit at the top". See if you can get a good liquid-feed gauge & see what it says. Personally I don't trust electronic gauges.

However, I can't see how the two faults would be related.

Your overdrive, that would be a mechanical lockup -- I'd want to drop the box again & suss it closely. BUT... Does the vibration come in slowly around the overdrive point, or does it hit like a steam-train? If the second, it would almost certainly be the lock-up clutch.
gordon451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 15:52   #5 (permalink)

It is possible that the torque converter is out of balance, it is not unheard of. Also, it may be loose. You can check that by removing the splash plate in front of the gearbox and checking the bolts.

If the car has been lowered, it is possible to get driveline vibes, because the tailshaft angle can be changed outside its optimum operating angle.

If the car isn't lowered, I would firstly undo the tailshaft and turn it 180 deg, and bolt it back up to see if that makes any difference. Secondly, I would then check all uni joints. Take the shaft off when you do this. See if there is ANY lateral movement in the joints, and also check for roughness in the bearings. You can feel the roughness be moving the joints carefully.

If any of the above exist, replace the joints, and do them both, 'cos if one is going, the other is not far behind.
Another thing I would do is check the shaft for straightness. The car may have had a whack up the bum and bent the shaft.

As far as oil pressure goes, no it is not usual for that to happen. It sounds like your pressure relief valve may be stuck. As gordon451 says: rig up an analogue guage and check. It's not really difficult, you just put a "T" piece where the oil pressure switch is, and connect the original guage and run off an analogue guage.

Good luck
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 16:18   #6 (permalink)

thanks all, the car is lowered so i will review the shaft firstly and one of the mufflers had coped a decent whack so the tailshaft may have as well. uni's have been checked and are fine. the vibration does drop in as soon as it hits lock up and stays constant so i am leaning towards the lock-up clutch as suspected problem, best course of action may be a 5 speed conversion.
mattxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech