Help. whats draining my battery? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 19:48   #1 (permalink)

Help. whats draining my battery?

Hi does any one know what could be causing the battery in my XP to loose its charge after a couple of days.
Its fine if i disconnect it so i'm guessing something must be draining it.

cheers
BlueXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2005, 19:59   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Help. whats draining my battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueXP
Hi does any one know what could be causing the battery in my XP to loose its charge after a couple of days.
Its fine if i disconnect it so i'm guessing something must be draining it.

cheers
Alarm system, boot light, interior light, clock. I'd assume there must be something connected to the battery thats non-genuine draining it.
Old 06-14-2005, 20:10   #3 (permalink)

there's no alarm or stereo but as for interior light it was
staying on so i just removed the bulb :) this couldn't
still be draining power could it ? It also has an electric fan
which im not sure whether thats genuine or not.

cheers
Old 06-14-2005, 21:13   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

It means the circuit is still powered but it shouldn't be enough to drain a battery. The fan you have if it's a thermo fan and is triggered by a temp sender? You don't want it running after the car is turned off.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:13   #5 (permalink)

In my experience if the regulator has been replaced with a solid state type (as most cars that age have been), then an internal failure can drain the battery. The regulator can still function normally, but left overnight it does drain the battery. If your regulator is in the alternator this may not apply but I think it is still a possibility.
nassi
nassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:55   #6 (permalink)

hey whats a regualator and how do i check/fix it?

anyway thanks for your help
Old 06-16-2005, 00:14   #7 (permalink)

A regulator is a piece of electrickery equipment in circuit between the alternator (or generator), and the battery. It dictates the amount of charge available to the battery. BUT if it goes wrong it can also drain the battery.
If it is an external unit (not in the alternator), it is about 2.5 inches square oten with a black top and silver base. The top may have initials stamped above terminals, and of course ther will be several wires attached. Not sure where to find it on an XP, but have a look on your radiator support panel.
An auto sparkie will point it out in no time flat. As for testing, just swap it out as this is usually cheaper than buying the gear to test this stuff.
nassi
nassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:45   #8 (permalink)

Thanks mate i'll have a look at that on the weekend
Old 06-17-2005, 01:49   #9 (permalink)

You may have several wires going to/from the + terminal of the battery. It helps to isolate which one(s) is sucking the 'trons.

ie: one from the alternator (yellow?), another to the fuse box (yellow), fat one to the starter and possibly another small one to the starter solenoid.

Undo the + terminal and take it off. Then separate all these individual wires.

Do you have a multimeter?....cheapo for $15. If so, set it to AMPS (current) and measure between each wire and the + terminal separately (series). See which one(s) register a reading.....and then you can narrow in on the problem.

If it's the yellow(?) one going to the fuse box, try taking one fuse out at a time and see if the current draw stops (check battery wire again). Then when you've found the problem circuit, either leave the fuse out, of it its an important one, search for the problem. If you have a problem in finding it, just undo the + terminal each time you leave the car

Most cars will have a small drain as mentioned (stereo/clock/alarm etc). The current draw from these things shouldn't be above 50 milliamps (0.050 Amps).

TIP 1: most multimeters have a 200 milliamp limit. As soon as you connect it to the wires, it will blow the fuse inside the meter (if the current draw is any higher, which is very probable in your case). I suggest you buy a multimeter with a 10 AMP option in addition to the standard 200mA setting. Measure the fault with this setting first. If it reads below 0.2 Amps (200mA), then you can use the smaller setting.

TIP 2: DON'T check the battery wires with any car doors open. The draw from interior lights will fry your multimeter!! Close the door after each time you check a fuse.

Good luck in chasing those gremlins!!

[edit] if you don't have a multimeter, check for a small spark from each wire. ie: flick it onto the + terminal. Even a small 50mA current will cause a spark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech