HELP!!! XF Panel Van Questions. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2003, 06:22   #1 (permalink)

HELP!!! XF Panel Van Questions.

Hi everyone....I need some advice as I am in the market for an XF panel van.

Basically, because they produced the van from 85 till 93?94? I am a bit confused. Was there much advancement with the mechanical side of the car (I.E EFI/Steering/Suspension) during those years? I am looking at a 90 or 91 model. Is this a good model?

Its pretty hard to find info on the model as its alot less popular than the sedan but was produced for much longer.

Thanks.
wallyt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2003, 18:35   #2 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

The 85 - 92 models I think, all have the 3.3L/4.1L XF motors where as newer models have the 4.0MPFI motors, which are a lot better! As far as I know the utes and panel vans of the EA era never ran the 3.9L motor. But I could be very wrong.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 19:41   #3 (permalink)

I now know the 94 and 95 models were known as the XG. They had the same basic body as the XF, would the change of model signify the change of engine?

The 93 model was known as the XF, so do you think it would likely have the 4.1 or the 4.0?
Old 02-16-2003, 20:36   #4 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Well the 4.0L motor came out with the EBII which was 1992. Whether or not the ute got the same motor as well I'm not sure. But I can't see Ford sticking with a motor that was made for an 84 model right through to the 93 model, I'd say it got the 4.0L upon the release of the EBII. As I said afaik they never ran the 3.9L, but I could be mistaken.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 21:32   #5 (permalink)

For anyone else reading, I just spoke to a dealer selling a 93' XF. The 93 actually does still have the 4.1. Its the 94 and 95 XG's that have the motor that EA2 mentioned.

There was a number of reasons why Ford stayed with the XF Ute and Panel Vans from 85 till 93.

1, Holden had no ute or PV at that time some there was no competition

2, They had a whole SHITLOAD of 4.1 litre engines and nothing to do with them all.

3, The XF Ute and PV was very popular and sales showed no signs of slowing down

4, The AU was a piece of shit and no tradesman would buy one . (I didnt make that one up I read it somewhere =).
Old 02-16-2003, 21:48   #6 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Re: HELP!!! XF Panel Van Questions.

Quote:
Originally posted by wallyt00
....Was there much advancement with the mechanical side of the car (I.E EFI/Steering/Suspension) during those years...
As you have already worked out the XG got the 4.0l MPFI motor and 4-speed auto (if it's an auto) from the EBII.

Panel vans also came out in XH form after the XG where they copped the EF style nose and also picked up the whole front structure from the E-sedans which included much better SLALS design suspension and rack & pinion steering.
Old 02-16-2003, 23:44   #7 (permalink)

I had about 8 of these over a few years until about '92. From memory the following changes were made.
Early XF had the leaded motor in them , these went considerably better than the unleaded models.
I believe that about the time the EA was released there was a mechanical update done, with the following changes:
5 speed manual available as an option (Previously only 3 speed man or auto)
All vans fitted with windows, blank side panels no longer available. ( I dont know why they did this, It caused us some problems and we ended up getting the windows tinted as dark as possible)
Tailgate style rear doors dropped and only barn doors available.

LSD was always an option and all my vans were so equipped

TYHere were several changes to the front bumper assembly, chronologically listed:
Grey Bumper, no blinker repeaters in sides. (leaded model only IIRC)
Grey bumper, blinker repeaters fitted
Grey bumper, Colour coded below actual bumper,blinker repeaters fitted
Complete colour coded bumper with grey grille, blinker repeaters fitted
Grey bumper, Colour coded below actual bumper, colour coded grille,blinker repeaters fitted

Hope this is of some use. I dont believe that XF vans were ever fitted with 4 speeds as they were dropped from the XE range with the S pack and the five speed was introduced when they finally ran out of 3 speed manuals.

I got a four wheel drive after they had to spend $2000 rebuilding the front end of my last van so I never got an XG or an XH.

Regds,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 02:26   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by wallyt00
For anyone else reading, I just spoke to a dealer selling a 93' XF. The 93 actually does still have the 4.1. Its the 94 and 95 XG's that have the motor that EA2 mentioned.

My XG was built in August '93, so somewhere around that time they started dropping the 4.0l donk in them

and EA2 is right in saying that Ford never put 3.9's in them

If you want my advice, buy an XG and a manual like mine if you can find one. They are much quicker with better fuel economy to boot
ZH_302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 02:51   #9 (permalink)

I have a brochure on the 1993 utes & van and the 4.0ltr as well as the old 4.1 were both avialble on the XG range. All the 4.1ltr motors from late 87 on used the 3.9 crank. The XH had the 4.0ltr only and shared suspension with the Falcon sedan. The only differences between XF to XG with 4.1ltr were mainly trim changes such as guages, consoul, fabrics etc. mechanicals are much the same. The old 4.1 is not as powerful as the 4.0ltr but is reliable and torquey enough for heavy loads & towing etc & are cheaper than the 4.0ltr models. With XF the base line van had barn doors & no side windows, the XF GL van had tailgate doors & side windows.
XAXEXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 03:00   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XAXEXF
I have a brochure on the 1993 utes & van and the 4.0ltr as well as the old 4.1 were both avialble on the XG range
Thats the first Ive heard of that

I would have just thought that the XF finished production in mid '93 along with the 4.1 engine it had

Also, my XG handbook dosnt mention the 4.1 at all
ZH_302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech