Ford Forums banner

hesitation on acceleration

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RossD 
#1 ·
I just did a 1500 k trip in my EA and about 100 k's from home I noticed that when I accelerated it seemed fairly sluggish. It's still doing the same but now it's idling rough as well. I put some injector cleaner through it while away. When I put my foot down it hesitates initially and is then fine.

#6 ·
Ok,
This morning I changed the fuel filter, fair amount of crap came out of the old one. Also cleaned plugs ( looked ok) and changed air cleaner. Definately running better, seems to be idling faster, took it for a run on the highway and it is better than it was. Still idling rough, stalled when I put it into gear after the run. Looks like the injectors get done this week.
Cheers
Ross

#7 ·
Ross, let us know how it goes after the injectors get done.

It could also be a stuck or blocked PCV valve. I would check out the PCV system before I paid $$$buck$$ for injector cleaning.

#8 ·
I had a similar problem with my EF, when i put my foot down, it hesistated then went... a good clean out of the butterfly with some carby cleaner and that solved that problem, the butterfly was sticking enough to give it hesitation on accelerating. Also caused the car to idle irregularly..tacho would go up, computer would drop it down, but overshoot, almost stall, back up again too far, back down again, etc..... couldn't get exactly where it wanted..

Not sure if it's your problem of course, but try it if you have no luck with anything else........cheers

#9 ·
Update on hesitation

Gidday,
Well, talk about waste some money. Ended up putting in a set of new injectors at $36 each-$216. Didn't fix it, new plugs,leads, didn't fix it. Did a compression check( should have done this first), number 4, 75 lb and dropping. all the others 130. Obviously a valve problem. Basic rebuild on the head - $350,gaskets - $125. Is it worth doing on a high K motor? I think not. So I'm looking for a good second hand motor. Can get a 4 L for $500. If it will go sraight in this would be the way to go. Any Ideas?
Cheers Ross.
PS Don't need injectors:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.