Ford Forums banner

HEY all AUTO drivers.....

2K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  Blue Eb 2 
G
#1 ·
hey auto boys - just got some questions....

have you put a modified exhaust/muffler or tip on your auto?
tell me the details. what does it sound like? and more importantly what does it sound like in comparison to the manual version?

is it worth it?
can you get a big exhaust and power gain (even a little power gain) but without the big noise?

also, i know there are auto shift knobs (yes just knobs) which, but have woodgrain etc texture. have any of you guys fitted these, or is it cooler to go and fit some expensive B&M quicksilver/hammer etc ones?

can you buy the "boots" for an auto shifter?
who sells em? how much?

#2 ·
I've got a 4 speed with a 2.5" system on it, the sound of it is more or less the same as a manual with the same thing, don't know why u would think it would sound different. I've got a 2.5" cat 1 muffler and 2.5" pipe goin all the way to the end, I noticed a slight increase in power, very slight, but that woulda been cos the old catalytic converter was ****ed. cost was $380 fully installed, a stock system costs $440.

I also have an aftermarket shifter on mine, it feels a hell of a alot better than the shitty stock thing. Cost me $30 from repco but it was a shitty blue with black checks on it. I just finished sanding it back and spraying it the same colour as the car so it looks real sweet now, the only bad thing about these aftermarket shifters is that you gotta sorta drill holes or put indents on the shifting rod thing so the grub screws have somethin to hold into, takes a while to get it configured properly. and if you ever sell the car and put the old shifter back on there are gonna be marks on the shift rod thing from the grub screws

Ed

#3 ·
I understand the really expensive exhaust systems are not too loud. I haven't bothered to ask how much they cost because I know I can't afford it for a long while. :)

G
#4 ·
Auto and Exhaust

I have an ea 3.9mpfi with a 3speed auto, it has a 2.5" redback racing exhaust (1 muffler), with 3 inch for the last foot or so and it has a really nice note not excesivly loud, but it sounds better as it warms up.

G
#5 ·
exhaust note

i guess i always thought that an exhaust on an auto would sound shitty, or just alot less impressive than an exhaust on a manual (due to the differening gear shifts.)

if alot of people have a loud exhaust (or not so loud) on an auto and it doesnt sound shitty then thats totally cool! i was really worried that anything bigger than peashooter stock size would just sound crap!

has anyone got any of those B&M shifters, or does anyone know about them? i am interested in checken em out!@

G
#6 ·
exhaust note

Hey Sik, the sound ain't shitty. I have a 2.5inch exhaust with 1 muffler and a res. and it sounds heaps better than a standard system might sound and for $250 it is a pretty cheap mod.

G
#7 ·
Re: auto exhaust note

There is a difference in the sound of a manual and auto, as I discovered when I did the T5 conversion- on an auto you don't get the sound of the overrun- throttle off- the "pop-pop" burble- that you get with the manual. Also the manual has a very distinctive gear sound in the lower gears, that blends with the exhaust sound. Basic rule seems to be , you get what you pay for- cheap exhaust, cheap sound, short service life.

#8 ·

You can still get the pop burble sound if manually downshit as I do. I'm dieing to get a manual thrown in it tho

Ed

G
#9 ·

hmm interesting shit to think about.

manually shifting an auto stick isnt as much fun as a manual, but for those times when u drive a manual in thick traffic and u wish u didnt have a clutch you can be thankful u got an auto.

how much does the note change if u just change the muffler and the tip (assume the muffler is within a foot of the tip)?

#10 ·

Tips don't don't do much with performance and sound, there was one wanker while I was around a mates place who put a 2.5" tip onto a 1.5" exhaust on a lancer, put it on took it for a drive and came back and said "**** that made it a shitload faster" what a wanker, it didnt even sound different. Tips are for visual appearance, and unless your goin up to somethin huge thats half the length of the exhaust or put one of those rip-off huge ass $300 resonators that autobarn and the like sell claiming they increase performance but dont actually do shit except make it louder will u notice a difference in sound. To get a real nice sound out of an EA go a quality 2.5" system with one muffler $180-$200

Ed

G
#11 ·

I just have a standard shifter, but a 3 inch walker sp.exhaust all the way, nothing too loud, but has a nice burble to it when idling, pops, crackles and bangs like some of the the best turbo supra's and 300zx's etc. nice power gain too, $300, Mates rates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.