Ford Forums banner

Hi fuel consumption

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  YOOT 
#1 ·
Having had the car for about a week i have noticed that it is using about 17-18L per 100ks. This is with about 1/3 highway, 2/3 city, and only the occasional heavy right foot ;) I know this is high, but what are the likely courses of this? and the cost to fix it?

#2 ·
what model car? auto of manual? 6 or 8?

all these factors will affect fuel economy, and also you ahould get a new air filter, plugs and leads, check base timing, also check for a blocked exhaust, and then see how it goes, i get about 11L per 100ks driving nicely in my manual 6 cyl EB XR...but thats nicely, it goes down a LOT when i stick it :(

#3 ·
doh, sorry about forgetting the important stuff. It is a 1992 Falcon EB2 GLi, 4L I6, A4 etc. I thought it is just running very rich, what would cause that?

#4 ·
yea that is really rich, i get about 400k around town, and 650k on the open road, i have changed plugs leads and pod air filter, it all helps, ohh yea and there is that HEAVY RIGHT FOOT! lol

#5 ·
the air filter is almost new, haven't checked the plugs but i will look at them tomorrow. could the O2 sensor be playing up?

#10 ·
I'm getting 12.1L/100km in city with some long 80km cruises. Gives me about 535km on full tank.

I have worn plugs, leads, filter (fuel and air) and stuffed centre muffler.

I wonder how much lower it will go when I get it all fixed...

Thats grandpa driving though with the occasional full taps to 100kmh sprint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.