Holes in parcel shelf? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2003, 15:18   #1 (permalink)

Holes in parcel shelf?

Hi guys,

i am reasonably new to this forum with this being my first post. I have just found out that cutting holes in your back parcel tray can defect your vehicle. A couple of years ago i cut 6x9 holes in my ED falcon and i want to know how i can go about getting it fixed. I live in Brisbane, so if anyone knows where i could go and how much it would cost i would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Ivan
Ivestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2003, 15:30   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Its a bit of an unclear subject this, some say its ok, some say not. I tend to beleive its not allowed. Not completely sure how youd go about fixing it. You may beable to cut around the speaker holes in a wrecked falcon and then get them welded into your car then get it inspected?

Its probably the sort of thing youd be best ringing somebody and making 'enquiries on behalf of a friend' haha.

Anyway welcome to the forums :s5
Old 06-09-2003, 15:48   #3 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

Yeah it is a bit of an unknown, stupid RTAs can never give clear answers. It's all Stan's fault!

I heard from someone that it's legal if it's done professionally. Someone else told me that it's ok as long as there is a speaker in the hole. I say do it anyway, everyone does.

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 16:40   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

I suggest ring your insurance company, if anyone regardless of the law is going to NOT pay it would be them, so if they are happy, then why wouldnt the local RTA or VICROADS or whatever be happy to.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 16:43   #5 (permalink)

In QLD it's ok as long as you have something in the hole (speaker) as mine has them and I just had it regoed and a RWC done last week and they pasted it

soon to have a shift kit and one day in the unforseen future i will drop in the manual gearbox
d_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 17:00   #6 (permalink)
PAST EA TYCOON

if its not ok, why would JB & strathfield etc... cut holes in the shelf, it would be leaving themselves open for a mass legal debate if a car was found defective?
SOLD
EvilEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 17:53   #7 (permalink)

Hey,

The facts:

The reason cutting your parcel shelf is legal is because it acts as one of the main crumple zones in the back of the car and cutting holes in it makes it easier to bend. I reckon that it is crap. If you are going to hit something that bends the back of the parcel shelf if doesn't matter if you have 8inch holes or 6x9 holes. Some people believe that this is crap, but the insurance people dont and my dad works in this business. Make the insurance people happy they push "Bricks" (6x9 holders)

Happy parcel shelf hacking!
Rob (moonta)
bertson265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 18:04   #8 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

In regards to the professional installers who cut holes, is it really there responsability to advise it is illegal or legal, is there really any recourse, they simply advise they will be cutting holes, and you say ok, so does that mean it is now your problem, as you agreed to the holes to be cut for the speakers to be installed.

Now if it the parcel shelf is a crumple zone, then does that also make fitting a sound board illegal wether you cut holes or not, as you are effectively reducing the ability of the parcel shelf to crumple...... that would make nearly every car with a decent sound system illegal ??

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 18:22   #9 (permalink)
PAST EA TYCOON

Quote:
Originally posted by Dellboy999
In regards to the professional installers who cut holes, is it really there responsability to advise it is illegal or legal, is there really any recourse, they simply advise they will be cutting holes, and you say ok, so does that mean it is now your problem, as you agreed to the holes to be cut for the speakers to be installed.
I dont really know, just wondering.
either way, if that back shelf buckles/bends my gas tank will be next :(
SOLD
EvilEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 20:13   #10 (permalink)

Wooden Parcel Shelves are legal beacuse they stop that part of the crumple zone from crumpling as quick and therefore reducing the inpact..
bertson265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech