Hollow Cats - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2002, 20:35   #1 (permalink)
the hepler

Hollow Cats

On a 2.5" high-flow exhaust (1 muffler) would it make it louder? I know someone that has a cat that is rattling and it sounds so dodgy.

She has an EA Falcon Inline 6 and does not have enough money to get it replaced yet. She just wants to hollow it out so it does not attract too much attention as it is making a hell of a noise. Bits of the inside of the cat are coming out of the exhaust, we know it is the cat as the exhaust was replaces 2 weeks ago and the guy who fitted it said it has had it. The inside of the cat is very loose.

Also what performance gain would she get from doing this?

How much is a high-flow cat worth?

This is only for temporary and the cat will be replaced with a new sone in about 3 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2002, 20:51   #2 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

replace the cat now or take off your new exhaust!! The muffler will block up with the cr*p coming from the cat and stuff it. Also remember it's illegal to drive with no cat/non functioning cat and also imposes big fines from the EPA.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 21:01   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

There are a lot of things worse than driving around with hollow cats .
For example a guy at my work had an EAII Spak modified by a well known Ford tuner that used to be in Heidleberg and now is in the eastern suburbs and one of the mods was to knock out the unleaded filler resrictor in the filler neck and told the guy to run the car on super ! Highly illeagal.......
DAZ
Old 07-25-2002, 21:05   #4 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

if you hollow your cats and breath the fumes (over time) you will give yourself cancer - all the benzene and nitrates and stuff aren't good for ya!!!!
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 21:14   #5 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

I thought I'd add this comment from this month Autospeed magazine; Out the Exhaust - Part One

Quote:
.....Anyone found ripping the inside out of their catalytic converter or removing it altogether is being a tight-arse and irresponsible.

Removing a cat converter's honeycomb internals will undoubtedly improve exhaust flow - but not enough to offset the associated downsides. In addition to pumping out more toxins, your car is at major risk of being defected - and so it should be.

Note that a catalytic converter typically has an optimal lifespan of up to around 60,000 kilometres - after this stage its efficiency declines and there's the possibility that the internal honeycomb will collapse. We're told if your car's converter is older than about 10 years, it is worthwhile replacing it....
A view I happen to agree with.
Old 07-25-2002, 21:19   #6 (permalink)

If she cant afford to make neccesary repairs to her vehicle she should be taking the bus
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 21:37   #7 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

I refer to my recent post:
http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...threadid=21045

Does this mean that it's highly likely my cat is stuffed? Especially since I just had the exhaust done recently, using the same cat. The guy probably knocked it about - that's why he said it was my lifters.

Opinions?
Old 07-27-2002, 02:28   #8 (permalink)
ex ea driver

i replaced my exhaust and hi had a annoying ratteling nose as well, it was fromt eh tin that goes around that car that was making it, not the actual cat :)
CATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 02:45   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Personally I would have thought the RSPCA would be involved if everyone was going around hollowing out cats.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 02:57   #10 (permalink)
the man who cares

cats are pretty exspensive for what they are but i have a hallowed cat and it is pretty small compared to the rest of the sh*t that gets pumped into the world so get it hallowed before your up for another new muffler aswell as a cat.

Sorry if this offends tree huggers but then if there is any in here you should own a push bike
FMXer's XF ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech