Hot after head gasket - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2005, 02:02   #1 (permalink)

Hot after head gasket

Hey all after i fixed my head gasket there seems to be a problem with the temperature being higher? Instead of hovering half way, it now sits closer to 3/4????

Whats causing this??

thanks
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2005, 02:31   #2 (permalink)

Re: Hot after head gasket

Snavy, I found my temperature gauge was higher after using a 50% Ford coolant mix in my AUII, after draining the system and refilling with a 33% mix the high temp readings were gone and it was back to normal, my conclusion is that the more anti freeze/anti boil the hotter the engine will run. I think if the engine runs hotter that will leave less margin for safe engine operation in extremely hot weather, hope this helps
Cheers
Bill.
Ford jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 23:38   #3 (permalink)

i think a 50% mix was done. But i dont think this would be an issue? Anyone else have an answer?
Old 01-21-2005, 04:13   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Possibly some air is system?? Or is that you are taking more notice of it now ?? It has been hotter the last couple of weeks...Possibly cleaned out gunk around temp senser making it more sensitive ???
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 17:55   #5 (permalink)

wheres the temp sensor? Nah the car never hovers around that mark. Also it hit that mark in the morning when it wasnt even that hot so somethnig is up.

Do you have to replace the thermostat?
Old 01-22-2005, 22:37   #6 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Ford Jeepman is right - More antifreeze and the car will run much hotter and dont believe that the i6 holds 15 litres total otherwise you will stuf the ratios up, I run Valvoline G-05 and mixed it at a higher ratio and the car got alot warmer than it previousl had and that was with old dirty coolant

I did a head change a few weeks ago on my parents car and it ran hotter (100 + on the speedo readout) so i replaced the thermostat although it opened when put in boiling water..... All seem good now

Also have you run the heater to purge the heating system - Also you have to disconnect the top 10mm hose from the thermostat housing to purge air as it it the highest point in the system
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 00:43   #7 (permalink)

i changed the thermostat and bleed the system still hot!

whats going on?
Old 01-24-2005, 03:18   #8 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

stoppid question but you didnt put the gasket back to front or wrong way up??

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 03:37   #9 (permalink)

Hello Snavy, I did 3 cooling system flushes, the first 2 were 50% mix, one was Ford R1-33(Green) the second was Castrol anti freeze anti boil, with both the engine ran hotter and the fans cycled more often than they did before and in mild ambient temperatures. I decided to do one more and I drained the system ( it dumped about 7 litres in the bucket before stopping leaving another 9 litres in the block) I added 7 litres of demineralised water and took it for a drive and the temp gauge was back to its old self and fans did not run their arses off. I ended up completely flushing the system with demineralised water so when I drained it there was no green and then refilled using a 33% mix as recommended by Ford... no problems and I thoroughly "tested" the XR to stress the cooling system! This quote comes from my AUII owner's manual "The initial factory fill is a 33% by volume mixture of glycol-based anti-freeze/anti-corrosion in water. meeting Ford spec WSS-M97B44-A and part number R1-33 which is green in colour" I reckon the factory advice is OK because they do hot weather testing in the NT at Katherine and I know how hot it gets up personally. Check all your hoses as the oldest ones will be your weakest link. If I can save someone else all the time I wasted (not to mention $$$) then it is probably worth it, I hope this helps and you solve your your problem one way or another
Bill.
Ford jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:33   #10 (permalink)

took the car to radiator joint the radiator was stuffed! filled with everythnig under the sun and was rusty etc.

Funny thing was coolant always stayed green??

Well all sorted now new radiator is working a treat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech