Hot Air Pipe - Sorry to bring this one up again... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2002, 01:11   #1 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

Hot Air Pipe - Sorry to bring this one up again...

Okay today I was putting in a new distributor cap and rotor and I noticed that the hot air pipe (CFI EA) was kinda getting a bit frayed on the intake end.

Question is - I know some people have said that it can be taken off with no probs, but would this be a possible canary? Also should I take the mount off the headers that it connects onto to clean up and make it look like it was never there?

Also someone said that it helps the car get up to operating temp - would taking longer to get to op temp make a big diference to engine life? I do a lot of 5-10km runs and so it often goes from cold to warm and then cools down again....

Thanks...

Dan...
Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2002, 01:39   #2 (permalink)

Actually it's gonna come off anyway... So don't worry bout it...

Dan...
Old 12-13-2002, 17:56   #3 (permalink)

It's dead easy and cheap to get a new one though. The person who told you about the operating temp thing was right. I believe there should be a valve that closes when the temp is up, preventing the air from being drawn from around the exhaust.

I have seen heaps of Falcons with this removed. I cannot understand why - it is there for a reason and, like I said, very cheap and easy to replace.

Damien
damienpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 21:09   #4 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

There is a vacuum motor that selects where the air is drawn from. When the car is cold it sucks air from the exhaust manifold and when it's warm it sucks it from the snorkel mounted on the radiator shroud.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 06:39   #5 (permalink)

Hey Peoples,

I only got my EA a few months ago and it didn't have the hot air pipe at all. Considering I live in Qld, its not really needed anyhow.

To complete the missing pipe, I blocked the vacuum hose for it at the manifold tree, and using a short piece of vacuum hose, looped it on the two vacuum points under the tennis racket (have CFI).

There's enough temp in the motor within 1km to not care about short trips either.

I guess down in Melbourne or somewhere just as cold in winter it would be benificial to still have the hot air intake system.. but not here.

RIP my ol' esky.. many years of good service
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 00:02   #6 (permalink)

Yeah it doesn't get too cold here in Queensland, well maybe in Toowoomba it gets cold ;-)

Since removing it I've noticed it does take a bit longer to reach op temp but not a great deal longer. It does clean up the engine bay a bit and makes it look less cluttered.

Dan...

Old 12-16-2002, 04:26   #7 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

I doubt the piggers would pick it up, especially if you remove the bracket of the exhaust manifold and remove the bracket that holds it ontop of the rocker cover

I myself havent noticed any difference whatsoever, be it with performance, engine op temp, time it takes to warm up, I only removed it to clean the engine bay up
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 16:57   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XplodEd EA
I myself havent noticed any difference whatsoever, be it with performance, engine op temp, time it takes to warm up, I only removed it to clean the engine bay up
Same here, mine originally broke apart where it crosses the rocker cover and it looked really ugly so I took it off completely to see if it made any difference. It was exactly the same, so I took the bracket off as well because it won't be going back on.

It makes the engine bay look much tidier in my opinion.

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech