how do i clean my engine and bay? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2002, 00:07   #1 (permalink)

Wink how do i clean my engine and bay?

hi

can anyone tell me how to clean my engine and everything around it. it is so dirty, the whole thingy, i want it to be shiny and look like new. is there places that clean them? or is there a way to do it myself?
GL PRO SOUND
www.glprosound.com.au
1LOWEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2002, 00:11   #2 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

degreaser, soapy water, rag and some TLC!
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 01:53   #3 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

I use a high pressure hose and soapy water, havn't had any problems, and I'm assuming engine bays are designed to be cleaned like this, or are there problems that can arise that I should be aware of eg. electrics????
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 04:48   #4 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

To be honest, I was used to use the pressure hose quite a bit on the EA bay. However, I noticed that all the little terminals in the engine bay corroded quicker, and if the ignition leads were not up to scratch, there would be starting issues.

I still use high pressure on the actual block (exhaust side), as well as under the car, however, I prefer to wipe the 'electrical areas' with a rag, and polish the places that need it.

For the real dirty engine bay, you cant go past degreaser, Hot soapy water, a good scrub and a good rinse.
Old 12-10-2002, 14:40   #5 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Actually if you end up using degreaser and pressure...it is a good idea to first of all cover your alternator etc with a plastic bag/cling wrap etc...as for electrical wires etc...after you are done with the water, get your better half's hairdryer out and dry all of the electrical wires then spray a small amount of DW40 ( or similar ) onto the exposed wires/terminals etc...shouldnt have any dramas that way

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 14:55   #6 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

hey man,

just use some degreaser and water, and just use some elbow power, after u done this get some silicone spray and spray all your plastics and hoses in your engine bay, this will make them look like new.

rob

EF2 Futura - 2.5" zorst - K&N Filter - 3" intake - xr8 CAI - Wade 1004-14 Cam - Pacemaker PH4480 xtractors - 15" stockies

77 ZH Fairlane 500 - 302clevo - straight lpg - 12 slotters

God bless the lord, Henry Ford.
XCHASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 16:37   #7 (permalink)

do what the car dealers do...

If you've evered looked under the bonnet of most second hand (dealer) vehicles you would be amazed at how clean everything is.

This is because of the machines they use to clean them. The ones I've seen are called "WaterSpitters" or somthing like that. They cost like $3000. If you can find someone that has one, use it!

They use High Pressure steam and degreasser and the will remove absoloutley everything including rocker cover paint if your not carefull.

Jas.
EBFairmontS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech