how to get better handling in the wet? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2002, 07:21   #1 (permalink)
au2 forte

how to get better handling in the wet?

Hi, I've got a stock 6cyc forte with abs. In dry conditions, I'm satisfied with the way it handles. But in the wet, I'm finding it's a totally different 'beast'. With all the rain (during the melbourne "summer") I'm noticing sometimes how dodgey it can be when taking corners, or starting off at the traffic lights. BTW I mean this in the context of driving normally, ie. not pushing it or anything. Basically, the back end of the car sometimes just comes 'unstuck' and sways something shocking (I hope someone knows what I'm on about??? :p) ...Obviously I don't expect a base model car to handle with the poise of an xr or fairmont, but more 'stability' in the wet would be nice.

Also wondering about traction control (dunno if it's even possible to get that on a au2 forte?). I've seen it used on a fairmont and it seemed to make a difference in the wet (but the fairmont also had better suspension/IRS etc as well).

Basically just wondering what options I have? (oh and selling the car and buying a ghia is not an option :p)

Thanks in advance
au2_xpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2002, 07:45   #2 (permalink)

You could get some decent wet weather tyres for starters, in the latest Motor mag tyre test BFGoodrich Profiler G came out in top for wet weather handling. And maybe a LSD also.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 07:48   #3 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

I'd give a good set of tyre a shot first, especially if you still have the factory tyres on. Could make a big difference. As to what tyre, I'm not sure, but maybe get a copy of the tyre comparison done by Wheels or Motor mag. :s4

(edit: What Martin said. :s5 )

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 17:43   #4 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

My last car was a AU S pack and I found the same problem. It liked to get unstuck under aceleration in the wet.

I now have a AUII XR6 HP which isn't a great deal different in setup but with the Dunlop Bathurst 1000 tires it grips the road so much better.

Tires make all the difference, go and treat yourself to some good ones!
Old 02-16-2002, 18:31   #5 (permalink)
longjohn1

had same problem with my xr ,tryed new rear tyres ,alignment,and check your tyre pressure,or just watch your right foot cars don,t loose control drivers do.
Old 02-16-2002, 19:11   #6 (permalink)
au2 forte

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Never knew the stock tyres were seen as being that bad eh? Mine have done 20k and still seem ok tread wise, I'm pretty easy on them, no burnouts etc (dont even know if I could :p). But after reading the replies, it seems they will be something I'll be considering replacing!

longjohn1: I totally agree with your comment about how drivers loose control not the car. It's just that in my car when driving in the wet sometimes u feel like u just have to really nurse it around corners. And even when u r not demanding much from the car from rest, it still sometimes seems to have a mind of its own... :(

Getting LSD sounds like it would be very $$$$ :( But would traction control be an option as well??

btw thanks again ppl!
au2_xpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 23:13   #7 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

LSD would cost you under $1000 and give you a huge improvement. Traction control would probably cost more and I don't think it would be of much help without LSD.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 23:32   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Yeap Tyres for sure, gotta say the stock OEM tyres are pretty ordinary actually to correct it very bloody ordinary.

Tyres make a world of difference and at a relatively cheaper price than other mods it's good value too.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 14:35   #9 (permalink)
Ford Freak!

Go the Tyres option

Don't worry about LSD, it doesn't help me any in my AUII XR6HP. This is the second XR I've had and I know the problem is shit tyres. I got the car with $6,000 discount, and when I asked for 17" wheels they put shit tyres on it at the dealer (Ultra HPR GTs I think).

Found Falken tyres weel priced and very good in both wet and dry. Had these on my old AU XR6HP after the Dunlop SP9000, and found them to be a very good tyre. Didn't have any trouble in the wet with them.

I know what you're going through at the moment. If I try and take off up a hill I sometimes have to put the Auto in 2 (will start in 2, not 1) to take off to stop the wheels spinning, and sometimes even this doesn't work. Otherwise it's just spin on the hill until it moves forward enough to get grip. Don't even talk about corners. I'm shit scared on some slippery roads in the wet, I'm just happy in the knowledge that if it steps out the XRs handle so well you can get it back in line pretty easily. And all this happens on corners that I would take at quite some speed in the dry. I even have four wheel skids when I go around my local roundabout at about 10 km/h or less). I'd be changing these shit tyres, but att he moment I'm divorced and flat out paying the car off, so they're low on my priority list. I just pray that it won't rain too much.

Anyway, go the tyres option, it'll definately make a difference.

Regards,

"You wouldn't be dead for quids!"
mikenicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 15:08   #10 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Either change your tyres or revise your use of the loud pedal....
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech