How good are Genie Extractors? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2003, 19:57   #1 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

How good are Genie Extractors?

My mate bought be a brand new set for my 21st, I was going to get pacemakers HPC coated and a decent 2.5" exhaust etc...

Now I have a set of genies, so I better use them.

Can I get them HPC coated?

How good are they?

THey are blue... with a little plaque that says Genie...
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2003, 04:03   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Any brand of extractors can be HPC coated. I have a set of genies on my v8, and they are great quality, and easy to fit. Genie have had a good name for a long time, but sort of dissapeared a few years ago due to financial troubles.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 14:16   #3 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

I heard their quality dropped off a few years ago, but they were bought out by a Qld company and are now made over here. Since then they are much better, with a new design.

I saw my exhaust dude today and he said they are a good set of pipes, with a different design to previous Genie's. Says they are up there with Pacemaker.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:06   #4 (permalink)

Had a set on my XE, the car hammered after they replaced the factory manifold. Good set, nice bends and welds. I've been very happy with them so far.
XESpakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:49   #5 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Thanks XE - Thats great!
Old 04-02-2003, 02:07   #6 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

I have a set of large bore genies on mine, I got them JetHot ceramic coated for $200 odd awhile back, They cool down rapidly after a hard drive & can be touched within 2 mins.

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 03:01   #7 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

i was talking to a guy at work who used to be a sales rep for genies, and he said they used to have certain v8 supercar teams etc there developing the extractors, so they must be of reasonable quality, they look good to me
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 13:29   #8 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

From what I have been told, Genies are actually really crap (sorry if this is depressing :() Because they simply allow SO MUCH exhaust too flow, the exhaust gas velocity is too low, and they don't scavenge the combustion chambers, even as much as the stock 6 - 1 exhaust headers, meaning you will actually experiance LESS power (and torque) when you use them.

This information comes from Jim Mock, and I know he has been copping a lot of crap on the forums lately, but the reason I can believe this specific information is, he would have got a stocko ford on the dyno, and simply run dyno tests (without changing anything on the dyno), first with the stock headers, then all the brands (genie, pace maker, HM, etc) then with the ones he uses, which he claims increase power the most, by having a small-diameter primary which is very long (hence allowing high exhaust gas velocity and scavenging the cylinders).

So, while his dyno might lie, it wont lie when you do the same test on the same car with just different extractors :)
Old 04-02-2003, 14:05   #9 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

That's interesting juarez, do you have a link to that info and some dyno charts maybe? Also how does the heat coating work? What is is made from? Is it porous and increase the surface area of the pipe for ventilation or something? Does it help performace by running engine cooler?
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 22:03   #10 (permalink)
sings the blues

Well my old man has always run genies, so of course I run genies.
However, times change so I sort out an 'informed' opinion from one of the dudes at the local 'zost' shop (not somewhere like midas, i mean a real shop) and asked him his opinion. He said that on the xflow 250, the shortbase genies were about as good as stock and he didnt recommend them, however he has the longbase extractors fitted to his EB xflow and loves them.

I got the longbase and couldn't be happier.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech