Ford Forums banner

How Hard?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  DansEdgli 
#1 ·
Im thinkig of ditching my XF and getting an XE with a V8 after i saw an awesome one last night light up both wheels all the way across an intersection. The sound was so sweet!
If i buy a six banger for now how difficult would it be to drop in an 8? Is it a straight swap over?
Does both the 302 and 351C use the same mounts as the six??
What would i need to change and how much would it cost just to get the car ready for an 8? not including diff,gearbox and engine?
Would the front suspension need to be changed?

Thanks guys
Dan

#4 ·
Ahh you DON'T need a X.E..v8 to scavenge parts. An XD V8 will do to get the brackets that mount on the X member to move them forward,then the mounts fit on them.
From memory the XE has a lighter X member so you may have to fit an X.D one in there.I could be wrong there it may have been the XF but the mounts are the same as all earlier Clevo V8's..Obviously a bigger radiator. The gearbox Xmember has two holes in the body for different box's so no problem there.Depending what box is used, you only need the drivshaft yoke that fits the box you have..Extend or short'n the temp,oil sensers harnes to suit.. You can move the fuel line to the hole closer to the front as in original 8 but not nessesary...

#5 ·
Bah, you dont need an 8 to light up the tyres across an intersection, not that id know of course....:dev2: :angel: :shh:

#6 ·
ebxr8240 said:
Ahh you DON'T need a X.E..v8 to scavenge parts. An XD V8 will do to get the brackets that mount on the X member to move them forward,then the mounts fit on them.
From memory the XE has a lighter X member so you may have to fit an X.D one in there.I could be wrong there it may have been the XF but the mounts are the same as all earlier Clevo V8's..Obviously a bigger radiator. The gearbox Xmember has two holes in the body for different box's so no problem there.Depending what box is used, you only need the drivshaft yoke that fits the box you have..Extend or short'n the temp,oil sensers harnes to suit.. You can move the fuel line to the hole closer to the front as in original 8 but not nessesary...
Because the XF was never built with a 8 the cross member is of a lighter construction than the earlier XD XE models - these cross members can not be removed so the only way to strengthen them is a bit of extra welding. Most people who have put the clevos into the XF have had clearance problems with the motor hitting the heater inlets - you have to remove the heater assy and move it up.

Easy way is to go either XD or XE - everything easily bolts in and you can always bolt the XF panels onto it.

Hope it helps

Paul B
XR6WGN

#8 ·
I don't think you require an engineer's certificate if the vehicle was originally fitted with the 351 as an option. Did a similar thing to replace the 3.3 litre in an XD back in '89. Things may have changed now, so a quick call to RTA or whoever your applicable traffic authority is would be a good idea! :)

#9 ·
6 to 8

the 6 to 8 conversion is not as easy as would seem. you need to be pretty well setup, but if you are, and have the time, then its ok. Consider everything beforehand - depending on the model, you will need to change radiator, tranny cooler lines, engine bay loom, fuel line, engine mounts, accelerator linkage/cable, speedo cable (maybe), front springs, exhaust, as well as worrying about p/steer and air con if you have it. then theres the big stuff, motor, tranny, you may need a new tailshaft, and for a 351 you will probably want a 9 inch, which most are for leaf springs, hence no good for XE's (watts linkage)

Short story?? Better buy a car thats already an 8. (unless you find a really really good 6 for a bargain price)

#10 ·
Thanks guys thats a lot of help.
To clear up a bit of confusion, im not thinking of putting an 8 into the XF. I want to buy an XE (6 cylinder if i have to. damn P plates)and do it up the way i want. Then when my insurance drops a bit and my P plates disappear put in an 8.

If i buy a 6 cylinder XE is it worth spending money on it now to get it the way i want and then convert it to a 351 later on? Or should i wait a while (2 years) and just buy an 8 to start off with?

Thanks again
Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.