How ingoring basic safety steps can ruin your wardrobe. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2002, 19:10   #1 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

How ingoring basic safety steps can ruin your wardrobe.

I am safety conscious and doubt I've ever got under a car without the jack being backed up by a jack stand. Except last night. Car on 2 ton (not tonne) trolley jack I've had for yonks and never failed. Front wheel off. Decided to take a quick squiz around steering rack. Had just slid under and BANG! I knew in that instant that the jack had slipped or failed and I was going to die a painful and totally avoidable death when the front end crushed my chest. Obviously it didn't. A 5x2 block of wood I used to protect the jacking point had snapped in the jack bowl because it wasn't sitting square on the jacking point. Could just as easily have slipped off the jack.

I need a new pair of undies.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2002, 00:09   #2 (permalink)
goooone

Yor alucky boy. I am so paranoid about getting under my carwith the trolley jack that I use stands have the normal jack as back up & a pile of bricks or tyres.

Man im a wuss
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 00:21   #3 (permalink)
GTHO4

I think you better buy yourself a lotto coupon, you are one very lucky man.
Old 01-05-2002, 03:13   #4 (permalink)
1 bad 302

Re: How ingoring basic safety steps can ruin your wardrobe.

Quote:
Originally posted by EA S

I need a new pair of undies.
I can imagine how that felt as i can't get enough blocks under my car when under it.I have seen some nasty accidents in the mining game with machines slipping when not jacked/propped correctly.

Good to hear you're ok

dragonV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 16:34   #5 (permalink)
proffesional stupid head

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jucy
Yor alucky boy. I am so paranoid about getting under my carwith the trolley jack that I use stands have the normal jack as back up & a pile of bricks or tyres.
i think thats not wuss, thats smart

Even with the car sitting on jack stands i still cant trust it
Old 01-05-2002, 16:45   #6 (permalink)

My old workshop foreman had a car fall off a trolley jack while he was under it. His head went between the radiator support and the gearbox, Mazda 626. Everyone in the workshop lifted the car off him. He escaped with only a deep cut on his fore head. And a right arse kicking from everyone from the Manager down!
Old 01-05-2002, 19:39   #7 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gtho4
I think you better buy yourself a lotto coupon, you are one very lucky man.
Substitute stupid for lucky and you'd be right.

What is extra stupid is that this is probably the first time in 30 something years of working on cars that I've ever done it, because the thought of a chest crush etc doesn't fill me with joy, and I know it can happen without warning (as it did). I'm normally like everybody else, with truck quality jack stands backing up K-mart type jackstands backing up the jack. I've even welded extra supports on the ramps because they look too light. I get the shivers seeing people working under cars on the factory jack or some crappy little K-mart thing suitable for lifting pushbikes and usually guaranteed to have a fairly fast slow leak in them (well, the four I've had all did anyway)

I will never, ever, ever do anyting like it again. I am an idiot.

Does anyone know how to get poo stains out of concrete? They're pretty deep.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 19:12   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

GOod to hear that your ok mate, i always put bricks wood or anything for a backup measure if i'm working under the car.

I realise that a conventional scissor jack is definitly a not alright jack.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 20:31   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

Man im a wuss
Not a wuss, just smart. I've lost count the number of mates I've seen get under their cars with just a K-mart trolley jack but lucky for them nothing has happened.
They think I'm a Richard Cranium for going on at them for doing this stupid practice .:fmad:

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 06:25   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

Man im a wuss
Man I would say you're SMART (very SMART) not a wuss
batbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech