How long should an EL GLi radiator last? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2002, 02:44   #1 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

How long should an EL GLi radiator last?

While I'm overseas this week I got my mum to drop The Slothmobile™ to the mechanics for a service. Last time I was there he told me there was a slight leak from the cooling system but said it wasn't serious so I decided to leave it till the next service. So the next service arrives and he tells my mum that it needs a new radiator because the current one has a leak.

I thought it sounded sus so I told my mum to go and have a look and they showed her by using a pressure test that the radiator was in fact leaking and could rupture at any time. Anyway, we decided to go ahead and fork out $450 for a new one.

What I want to know is, is the lifespan of a radiator only 4 years? I bought my EL new in March 98 and I don't cane it a great deal. Sometimes I'm heavy footed and other times I'm driving Miss Daisy. The mechanic also said the radiator was made from plastic. Is this true? I'm presuming the core is still metal - just the casing is plastic.

I'm just surprised that it didn't last longer.

I recall an ancient thread where THE DOCTOR recommends getting a police spec radiator. Third post in this thread:
http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...&threadid=2494

Might do that when I get my next car. Or go for full police spec if I have the funds...

Thanks guys!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2002, 07:45   #2 (permalink)

The end tanks are plastic, and usually corrode or crack at the seam lines.

If it was just those that were leaking then you were ripped off big time, as you can replace them seperately from the core.

If the coolant/water mixture was incorrect then corrosion can be fairly rapid, also 'stray' electrical current can also cause this.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 19:18   #3 (permalink)
Yeah .... I am here

3Toed, although my experience was not with an EL, but my old ED and my pops EB when we travelled around the 140'000 km area both our radiators, cracked, leaked ect.
the radiator guy said that with the fords the sand from the original bore of the block, a bit is still in the motor and after a few years this builds up in the radiator and cloggs up. he showed us our radiators at the time and cut em open and all this sand and grime is clogged up in there. Sounds logical but it could have been a whole load of crap to get a sale !!!!
XR8fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 22:31   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

What $450 for an EL radiator!?

I replaced mine 2 years ago and the price was $180 + $20 for coolant. Took me 10 mins to fit.

Brenden
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 23:11   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

3Toad,

A new radiator will cost around $230-250 and mechanics charge $400 all up for fitting etc. Don't forget to get new radiator pipes as well, cheap investment i say.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 23:43   #6 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

My EL XR was built jan 97 and it's still on the original radiator after 130,000kms...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech