How much fluffy stuff in sub box? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2003, 18:26   #1 (permalink)

How much fluffy stuff in sub box?

Ive seen boxes that just have a layer lining all the walls and ive also sean boxes that are totally full of it. Which is the way to go and how does more or less effect sound?

THanks
Aaron
xespack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2003, 07:05   #2 (permalink)
'95 EF GLi

check out http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/index.html. there is heaps of info on subs.
BlueAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:21   #3 (permalink)

go to caraudioaustralia.com can find good help there. Thats where i learnt about car audio.

but seriously that fluffy stuff is meant to trick your subs into thinking the box is bigger than what it is.

but last time i read about this subject, it makes bugger all difference if the fluffy stuff is there or not.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 17:31   #4 (permalink)
mmmmm....kookyfudge

snavy is spot on dood i wouldnt bother with the dacron (fluffy stuff). If your internal volume is right you shouldnt need to worry. plenty of top line car audio installs dont have it, correct box volume should be the first priority and you have that now. Itching to hear the results mate. BTW make sure you use gap filler and make sure to fill every hole in the box if you dont it will whistle and it lessens the box's efficiency.

kooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 19:32   #5 (permalink)
'95 EF GLi

i thought the fluffy stuff was something to do with resonances and echos? i dunno... but check out what JL has to say because they have alot of good info on sub box designs.
Old 04-25-2003, 18:42   #6 (permalink)

The stuffing is there to both make the box appear larger to the speaker and to stop internal resonances. The way it works is the air moving in a bare box moves in a straight line to the walls, in a stuffed box the air has to weave around the fibres, creating a longer path. In a sealed box (where the box should be loosly filled to the top) this can make the box appear up to 3 litres larger or more for big boxes, resulting in lower bass extension with minimal booming as the actual volume of air hasn't increased.
The fluff also absorbs the back wave, helping attenuate the reflected sound from coming out throuhh the cone, which results in cleaner sound. In a vented box, the result is the same, but you only line the walls with 1 to 2 inches of the stuff, and keep it away from the ports so the air can move freely.
Hope that helps...
XESpakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 03:08   #7 (permalink)
'95 EF GLi

Smile

finally! someone who knows the answer! thanks dude! that makes perfect sense to me!
Old 04-26-2003, 13:58   #8 (permalink)

if you want to learn more about car audio go to caraudioaustralia.com, the people there are damn helpful! Its interesting stuff to learn about, also stops you from buying the wrong gear :)
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech