How much power from power chips? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2001, 18:52   #1 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Question How much power from power chips?

I was looking at Chiptorque performance figures for their chips and wondering how much the chips really contribute?

Stage 1 on a 3.9 mpi increases rear wheel kw by 4kw with standard exhaust manifold and 2 1/2 in sports exhaust.

Stage 2 is 13 kw with extractors added.

Stage 3 is 21 kw with mild cam fitted.

Stage 4 is 27 kw with bigger cam and shims in lifters.

It seems to me from experience with other cars that a fair part of these gains could be got without computer mods, although computer mods have to help to get the maximum benefit.

Anybody know what proportion of the improvements comes from the computer mods, because I'm trying to work out whether it's a value for money proposition to do any computer mods.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2001, 18:55   #2 (permalink)
gone

I have had experience with these power chips for my eb some 5 years ago

WASTE OF MONEY!!

Get more air into the engine and out of it faster!!!!

If you go to stage 5, i would recommend a power chip so that the correct mapping can be obtained, but make sure whoever does this runs it on a dyno for at least an initial setup up 6 hours and then again 2 weeks later for a tune 3 hours!!!

Alot of money for dyno tunning but at least the end result is worth it
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 19:45   #3 (permalink)

If you go the chip route you should go with a programmable chip like the unichip. There are some serious questions over a fixed plug and play like chip re value for money. The enhancement is only as good as the guy on the dyno. Take laminges advice. Other modes first.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 02:15   #4 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent

EA -S, I run a Chiptorque HP4 Cam & Chip package which was fitted in Newcastle by Gary Scott. It's fitted in my ED Futura Automatic 4 litre. I had my Car on the Dyno three times during the process.

The 1st was to get initial readings and was running Headers, Walker 2.5 inch exhaust with K & N filter and tuned to Premium Unleaded. (Optimax). The read was 152 BHP and 880LBS of Torque.

The 2nd was with an upgraded exhaust system Pacemaker headers Custom 2.5 inch system comprising Hi flow Cat, Straight through muffler 2 x hot dog style high flow resinators.
The read was 163BHP and 910LBS of torque.

The 3rd was with the Cam & Chip fitted as I said HP4, new plugs adjusted fuel pressure and tuned for optimum performance.
The read was 180BHP and 960LBS of torque.

So far I am very happy with the performance that the car displays and a number of other guys on this forum can verify the power as a driver or a victim.

All the way through the process we were in constant communication with Lachlan the chip developer from Chiptorque in Nerang Qld (Gold Coast). I have had the Dyno's and can send them if you would like them.

Let me know if you want more info...

Nipper........
Nipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 04:19   #5 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

I've been down this road before. to make it simple before you even contemplate getting a chip, dont listen to your mates, dont listen to your mother, and most of all dont listen to the pub mechanic. do all your engine mods first, and then do the chip. tell whoever is programming the chip what you have had done, right down to the type of sparkplugs used. as laminge said get it in get it out. your engine is nothing more than a giant air pump, the better the breathing the better compression, then piss it off out the exhaust.
Old 06-29-2001, 05:49   #6 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Exactly right, Doc my old liver fluke! A chip really should come from necessity rather than for outright gains in itself. Consider my situation - I've done the exhaust and exhaust manifold, so bad gas goes out better. Next step is to get more nice air in, so MAF + injectors + throttle body + intake manifold will do the trick. I will *need* a chip at this stage to allow the ecu to deal with the new ratios that will be running. However, the chip will give a relatively larger gain with this stuff than without, ie. without intake mods, I may pick up between 3 and 6% at the wheels with the chip alone (Unichip in this case). With the mods in place, I could expect anything up to 10%. Definitely better to get other things set up first, unless of course you're going for a complete kit that includes a chip.

Speaking of all this, it should be happening with mine very very soon!! Then the results of my prophecies can be published! :D :thumbup:
Old 06-29-2001, 05:56   #7 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

exactomondo.....:thumbup:
Old 06-29-2001, 20:29   #8 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Whatever you do avoid PowerChip the company in Melbourne - disaster zone! ChipTorque (Lachlan and Crew = good).

Key is dyno programming. Plug and Play does not work (even for MS Windows :rolleyes: ).

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 03:18   #9 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
Whatever you do avoid PowerChip the company in Melbourne - disaster zone! ChipTorque (Lachlan and Crew = good).

Key is dyno programming. Plug and Play does not work (even for MS Windows :rolleyes: ).
Hehehe yeah gotta agree with you there, especially about MS Windows.

Since no 2 motors are the same it's nigh impossible to design a chip that will cater for variations between engines. Programmable chip is the go, also be sure to go to a reputable person. Dodgy programmer -> dodgy engine tuning = bodgy power figure :eek: :eek:

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 23:24   #10 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Thanks everyone.

You all confirmed my suspicions (in my complete ignorance of details of how computer interacts with other systems) that traditional mods are first and, for my purposes, probably sufficient step and that they work without needing to spend big bikkies on computer mods. Better still, I can do all the mechanical stuff myself, unlike computer mods.

You've all saved me a lot of time and money. Thanks again.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech