How much would it cost? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2003, 17:50   #1 (permalink)
Sideways..

How much would it cost to replace diff centre?

Ive got a good working order 2.92 LSD diff centre for free off a good mate, and im going to use it to replace my open wheeler 2.78 centre.

Just curious as to how much places will charge to get this done and how long it should take them? I just want an idea before I go ringing up a few places.

And also if anyone knows any good diff places in Perth that would be great too.

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
XF Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2003, 19:45   #2 (permalink)

Its not too hard to do yourself you know. I did 3 diffs in my old XF. It really is very very easy...
Old 05-20-2003, 23:04   #3 (permalink)
Not a Twink

How about BPT ? :)
honer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 23:59   #4 (permalink)
Sideways..

BPT? eh?

So is it a simple task that myself and a mate could do with a jack and a few jack stands? or is it a bit more to it?

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:13   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Easy as Just be carefull with brake lines and bleed after!!
The rest you can see... Two hours with two people easy !!!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 02:09   #6 (permalink)
Sideways..

ok cool, one last question.. i was told its a bitch to get some bearings or something back on, cos you need some special tool or clamp or something,. i dunno :)

Old 05-21-2003, 03:02   #7 (permalink)

I'm guessing (all?) the above people thought you meant just replace the entire diff housing as a complete unit. This is, as stated, not technically difficult. If, however, you are contemplating replacing the LSD hemisphere, crown wheel and pinion, into your housing, then this is much more difficult. Sometimes you can be lucky, and the two lots of shimming will just swap over. If it doesn't, and if you don't get the two lots of preload correct, it will die rather quickly.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:47   #8 (permalink)
Sideways..

Well im looking at replacing my entire 2.78 diff centre with a different 2.92 LSD centre (as im not getting the entire 2.92 LSD diff, otherwise i'd just swap the whole diffs over).

Would that be a relatively hard task.

Old 05-21-2003, 05:55   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Thanks wbt56....
Ha thats a DIFFerent story it will only be easy if its a 9 inch.I thought you ment whole diff which is MUCH easier. It would probably be cheaper to get a whole diff and do it youself... still..
R.I.P Possum...
Old 05-21-2003, 05:57   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Quote:
Originally posted by ebxr8240
Thanks wbt56....
Ha thats a DIFFerent story it will only be easy if its a 9 inch.I thought you ment whole diff which is MUCH easier. It would probably be cheaper to get a whole diff and do it youself... still..
Labour with new bearings etc from $500.00 but that was a while ago...
R.I.P Possum...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech