How to quieten Lifters - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2003, 08:07   #1 (permalink)

How to quieten Lifters

When i first start the car. I can hear a tapping noise from under the hood, untill the oil pressure moves up. I'm guessing its the lifters. Wondering if any1 had any ideas on how too queiten them down
XRLENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2003, 14:54   #2 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

goto auto 1 or somethin like that and buy some oil cleaner, somthing that cleans all the gunk out of your motor, i done this a year back when my ef was doing that and it was fine for awhile, but they it turned out to be one of my lifters was buggered and i had to get them replaced.

EF2 Futura - 2.5" zorst - K&N Filter - 3" intake - xr8 CAI - Wade 1004-14 Cam - Pacemaker PH4480 xtractors - 15" stockies

77 ZH Fairlane 500 - 302clevo - straight lpg - 12 slotters

God bless the lord, Henry Ford.
XCHASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 17:24   #3 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

noisy lifters

i replaced my whole ea rocker gear set with a set off a ef, and hasnt made one tap since!
qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 07:32   #4 (permalink)

qwik,

Is that a bolt on replacement of other stuff needed? also an idea on price would be nice.

Mine only did it during startup, but now rattles on and off alot. guess it wasn't a good idea driving the car 1km when it suddenly lost a sump plug and coated the road to my house with oil.

RIP my ol' esky.. many years of good service
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:10   #5 (permalink)

try some nulon E20 performance additive, and some new oil. If that fails, then get your lifters replaced.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 17:22   #6 (permalink)

Re: noisy lifters

Quote:
Originally posted by qwikcorty
i replaced my whole ea rocker gear set with a set off a ef, and hasnt made one tap since!
did you find you lost power when you did this? or did you change the cam to?
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 18:06   #7 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

There will be no power loss!

They are directly interchangable EA-EL (NOT AU!!!!!). I did this a few months back, and the EF/L are a better design.
Old 03-04-2003, 22:54   #8 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

too right there a better design!
on the old ea set, between the rocker and pedestal there is about 2mm of wear and thus making the lifter sitting halfway off the valve stem!!
i paid $100 for the ef set, 3 weeks later nearly and i havent heard i single tap!
Old 03-04-2003, 23:53   #9 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

With going from ea - ef style the blocks that hole the whole shebang up (theres 7 of them I dont know theright name for them) have a fifferent suystem for holding the rocker cover down. EA has a pole that comes up with a thread that the dome top nuts screw on to. EF doesnt have this - it has a long bolt that screws into the blocks. If you get some EF rocker cover bolts im pretty sure that wouldwork. Otherwise you have to either disassemble the whole setup and swap the blocks over OR get 2 nuts on the poles and screw them on a bit then lock them together and this will give you a way to unscrew themn and screw them into the ef set.

Also if its rattling while driving and still rattles after a new set then its either a vorn valve guide like on my car :( or a broken timing chain guide also like on my car :(
Old 03-05-2003, 01:22   #10 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

all i did to hold the rocker cover down was to take the studs out of the ea pedastals and put them into the ef set. worked fine.
im now thinking of getting a ef rocker cover and polishing it up nice mmmmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech