Ford Forums banner

How to quieten Lifters

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  EDFUTURA 
#1 ·
When i first start the car. I can hear a tapping noise from under the hood, untill the oil pressure moves up. I'm guessing its the lifters. Wondering if any1 had any ideas on how too queiten them down

#2 ·
goto auto 1 or somethin like that and buy some oil cleaner, somthing that cleans all the gunk out of your motor, i done this a year back when my ef was doing that and it was fine for awhile, but they it turned out to be one of my lifters was buggered and i had to get them replaced.

#4 ·
qwik,

Is that a bolt on replacement of other stuff needed? also an idea on price would be nice.

Mine only did it during startup, but now rattles on and off alot. guess it wasn't a good idea driving the car 1km when it suddenly lost a sump plug and coated the road to my house with oil.

#8 ·
too right there a better design!
on the old ea set, between the rocker and pedestal there is about 2mm of wear and thus making the lifter sitting halfway off the valve stem!!
i paid $100 for the ef set, 3 weeks later nearly and i havent heard i single tap!

#9 ·
With going from ea - ef style the blocks that hole the whole shebang up (theres 7 of them I dont know theright name for them) have a fifferent suystem for holding the rocker cover down. EA has a pole that comes up with a thread that the dome top nuts screw on to. EF doesnt have this - it has a long bolt that screws into the blocks. If you get some EF rocker cover bolts im pretty sure that wouldwork. Otherwise you have to either disassemble the whole setup and swap the blocks over OR get 2 nuts on the poles and screw them on a bit then lock them together and this will give you a way to unscrew themn and screw them into the ef set.

Also if its rattling while driving and still rattles after a new set then its either a vorn valve guide like on my car :( or a broken timing chain guide also like on my car :(

#13 ·
qwikcorty said:
all i did to hold the rocker cover down was to take the studs out of the ea pedastals and put them into the ef set. worked fine.
im now thinking of getting a ef rocker cover and polishing it up nice mmmmm.
Yeah thats what i was trying to say in a roundabout way :)

Although an ef cover will fit if you file the corners off the cutout in the head, it is slightly longer and that means both ends have only the tinest amount of the gasket actually sealing. I dont think youd beable to have it on there and not having oil leaks

#14 ·
I used an EF rocker cover on my ED head for a couple of years and found it to seal ok - you do have to be careful to sort of centralise the cover (ie. with best seating possible of the seal at front and rear) before tighening it down finally.

It's important to use a new cover seal - and replace it again if the cover is removed any more than a couple of times. VERY IMPORTANT: if you're planning at any time to take the cover off and put it back without replacing the seal then whatever you do, don't let it come out of it's groove in the edge of the cover - once it's been in place for a while and come loose you'll have buckleys chance of getting the seal back into position properly.

If you use an EF cover you'll also have to use the EF cover bolts - which for the EF comprise one normal headed bolt and three with a threaded extension out the top - but for the ED (with MPEFI manifold) you'd just need 4 of the normal (fwd most) type bolts.

Because the EF plug leads are routed very differently to the ED ones you'll also need to transfer over your ED plug support brackets (the plastic gizmos) - just silastic them in place where they need to be.

An alternative might be to try an EL cover? - I haven't actually seen one up close but because the EL uses same dizzy ignition as the ED it probably has the lead brackets in the right place. Also, EL cover bolts should all be normal heads without the extension bits needed on top of them for the EF intake duct.

As NZinAUS has mentioned too - you need to round off those edges on the cutouts in the head - not difficult to do tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.