Ford Forums banner

How to replace popup headlights in a 94 probe

4K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  Stacy94PGT 
#1 ·
I know in earlier models there was a switch that allowed the headlights to be popped up wiht out turning them on.

I have to replace the headlights in my 94 probe and since there is no headlight pop-up switch, I am not sure on how to get them to pop up so that I can replace the lights.

Does anyone know?

#2 ·
There's a turn knolb just behind your headlight , it might have a rubber cover on it. The knolb itself has a direction arrow on it. Turn the way the arrow is pointing and your light will go up and down. But frist make sure you take out the fuse that control the head light motors.

#3 ·
when you say its just behind my head light does that mean under hood(or like in the light well)?

And do you happen to know which fuse is the headlight fuse(i dont have a user manual anymore and i am not sure if there is a diagram in the fuse box for me to follow).

thanks guy

#4 ·
Yes, under the hood, behind and to the back of the head light. The fuse is located in the fuse box under the hood. It should have a diagram/list on the inside of the cover. If it doesn't, there's 3 small fuses that sit in a row, I think a 10 amp, 20 and 30. Take the one out in the middle of the three. If my memory serves me right that's the headlight motor fuse.

#7 ·
when i take out the fuse (the one marked 'head', 20a right?) and then try to turn the knobs, they keep jumping back(counter Clockwise) on their own. Why is this happening? why aren't the knobs turning for me?

is the headlight motor fuse gonna be that one marked "HEAD" in the diagram? maybe thats why this isnt working for me. I know when the fuse is out, the lights won't turn on, so this would seem to me to be a good indicator that i have the right one.

Thanks!

#8 ·
Ummmmm, Your headlights should come on but the headlight motors shouldn't work. Disconnect the battery and see if you can turn them.

#9 ·
With that fuse out the headlights shoudl still come on? Though not pop up?

They don't pop up, i'm not sure if they come on or not though.

But this is normal behavior of the nob if there is still power to the motors?

Do i need to turn the light switch into the"on" position or anything in order to get the knob to stop this action?

#10 ·
Ok, lets start over. Turn on your headlights from the inside. Now your lights are on and the headlights are up. Now, take the fuse out, headlights should stay up and lights are still on. Turn your lights off from the inside, your headlights should continue to stay up and your headlights won't be on. Now you should be able to change out your headlights. I hope this helps and good luck.

#12 ·
Why would you need them. If your head lights stay up after you take fuse out. So for right now forget about the knobs.

#14 ·
Um, At frist that's what I thought "the switch" you were talking about. On the 1st gen you could just press in and turn the light knolb on the dash and they would stay up. But, for some reason Auto Alliance thought that was a bad idea for the 2nd gen. Just like switching out your front turn siginals. The 1st generation you could unscrew to screws and bam , pop in a new turn light. But not on the U.S. 2en gen. Europe, Australia, and maybe Japan have screws on the outside but we don't.:( Unless you buy a pair of front clear lens then one can do it. I don't know why they turn like that on you. If the fuse is still in the they will turn back like that. But if it's out it won't. Trust me, one of my head light motors went out "it melted". It started going up & down as I was driving down the road. The only way I stopped it was to take the fuse out. Of course the only way I could turn on at night was to turn the headlight motor knolb until the light came all the way up.

#16 ·
Try this, switch the headlights on. Disconnect the negative cable to the battery. That way the bulbs will turn off and the headlights will stay up.

#18 ·
Most, if not all machanics would do it this way. I've told you the fanicer way, but you say they keep going back down on you. Maybe something was wrong with my 94GT. Once I took the fuse out the motors never moved on mine.

#20 ·
Yes, that is the main fuse for the headlight motors. Disconnect the - cable, at this point. It would be the easiest way to go about it. The only draw back is that you'll have to reset your radio stations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.