How to stop a shaking engine? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2002, 10:40   #1 (permalink)
Sub System Steve

How to stop a shaking engine?

My congrats goes out to the designer of this site. I’ve learnt more about my car in the last 40 mintues of reading than I have owning the bloody thing itself…hehehe.

I got a few major questions to ask “ALL” you EA people out there. I drive a EA Falcon S-pack, 88 model. It’s a 3.9 MPI with 5 spd manual. My questions are:

1). Why does the engines shake so much during idle?
2). What can be done to reduce the shaking other then new engine mountings?
3). How can you tune the engine without taking it to the Mechs?

Thanks too all that reply!
Steve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2002, 10:46   #2 (permalink)
The Goodz

Do a tune up basically, check the timing, the spark plugs, dizzy cap, rotor button, high tension leads, fuel pressure, etc... If that don't fix it, then get it checked out.

Alex
Old 02-28-2002, 13:48   #3 (permalink)
Mallyboo

Welcome to the group

As in the message posted back to you - do the above. Pretty much the motors I have had in my car have been nice and smooth at idle, so if you have the motor running smick and it is shaking, I would check the mounts.

As for playing with the ignition and so forth, I would be giving this to someone else for the few dollars it costs. If not, buy a:
- timing light suited to the car (most are but helps to check)
- learn how to put the car into its "Self-Test: mode for checking the base timing. Very easy to do.
- Buy an extension (with a universal joint) for your socket/ratchet that allows you to reach the bolt that tighten the distributor (it is in a really hard to reach place).
- A good quality heat resistant glove that allows you to get your hand in to adjust the dizzy to advance or retard the timing.

Basic post here to make you feel as though people read the posts : ). Stay tuned to the site, you will pick up some good info out of here and also get to watch people slag each other off with Eric Estrada about someone being gay and so on....

(see "what's your current ride" for a fine example of what this board has to offer)

Later,

M.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech