Ford Forums banner

how strong are the ea's axles?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  gm dstroya 
#1 ·
like the subject says how strong are they, id like to put a mini spool in but someone had advised me that they are 25 spline and are a bit on the weak side.
anyone here had a broken axle or trouble with them before?

#3 ·
i am doing a tubo on my ea and am using a ed center (4 pin) the ed came standard with 28 spline axles (in all models) and is a better option for the ea-eb as the ea-eb models only have 28 spline in either fairmont ghia fairlane ghias and the ltd and also in the xr

the ef and newer also had 28 spline axles but the input pinion legnths are diferent to the ea-ed so to fit one up you wuld need the tailshaft of a ef as well

so if ur after a strong diff ed center (4 pin) is ur best bet for a ea-eb
as for mini spools i strongly recomend either gong for a tightly shimmed lsd or a lock rite center (a detroit lock with less moving parts in it and is stronger they allow your wheels to free spin anround corners but when you apply the accelorator they lock and the more you accelerate the more it locks)

a mini spool is more for drag racing

locked centers put a lot of strain on centers,bearing,axles and the tyre were is unbelivably high!! quite often you will break the axles with the lock diff (spools and welded alike)

a ed center with tight lsd and 28 spline axles is about a grand new and fitted

i can get you a lock rite and with 28splines and what ever gears you like for around 1350 (fitted) but you have to remove the diff and re-install it ur self. if ur interested pm me.

cheers.joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.