how and why. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2003, 19:13   #1 (permalink)

how and why.

hello peoples

My 88 ea has power steer pump leak , no bigge but why dose it do it somtimes then not at all.

lets say ill top it up from week to week the pump that is , leave it and it will drible and leave its presents noted every where its parked , out the front at home or up at work , or here or there . I make a metal note and check where shes been parked and theres no oil on the road .
Somtimes a droplets is left , and other times a pool that the Exo Valdes would be pround of.

Is it becouse its hotter than some other days , wrong fluid or spend the money ashole and get it fixed,, on that note how much to get it resealed , or what ever they do to them.

Its straight up that the rack was replaced as a saftey thing and then the next point of call is the pump , well i gusse it is any way , when i stick me mellon up under all i see is fresh oil and stuff all over the alternater and it drips of that, one part that won,t rust hehe!!

Any ideas or thoughts as all ways thank you.

regards tim
slothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2003, 01:50   #2 (permalink)
Certified Car Nut

biggrin

Job 1 is to degrease the engine bay including (especially) the crossmember.

Inspect the pressure and return hoses between the pump and the rack for leaks. The hoses are known to fail at the ends but will fail at any point where they can rub against a sharpish surface.

The pump usually leaks either from the housing o ring or the shaft seal. unless the rear fitting has been mishandled (crossthreaded).

The other culprit is the pressure switch which starts off as a dribble but eventually acts as a "pommy" oil seal.

With the engine bay clean it will be easier to see where the oil os leaking from.

Good hunting.

Rednecks dont write history, they make it happen.

Friends are just people that you know, when, where and how they'll let you down. Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet.....
Ferryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 01:59   #3 (permalink)

Re: how and why.

If you are able to do the pump yourself a seal kit is only approx $10..Do yourself a favour and replace the high pressure hose and return line while you're at it..Try A.T.P for the parts...

http://www.atpcomponents.com.au/productsmain.htm
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 03:51   #4 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Do it yourself - the worst thing that can happen is it will leak again. If it's the shaft seal it's likely to be a standard one - off the shelf at a bearings retailer. If you're lucky you won't have to even disconnect the lines.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 04:04   #5 (permalink)

I forgot to mention the kits from ATP have a basic how-to with them..
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 05:41   #6 (permalink)
Certified Car Nut

From memory, to do the job properly you need the appropriate puller for the pulley. The puller has to grip the groove on the centre of the pulley, if you try to prise it off via the edge then you'll bugger the pulley.

The pump has to be off the car because if you are gonna pull it apart you'll want to be able to clean it out as well.

I did quite a few of them when I was working on cabs in Brissy.

Its not hard to do the pumps up but you need to have the right tools.

Rednecks dont write history, they make it happen.

Friends are just people that you know, when, where and how they'll let you down. Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet.....
Ferryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 12:32   #7 (permalink)

hey

woo who , ill have look into it , ive recently cut up my hand up thanks to stupidtie not whereing gloves , cut it on tin sheetinging so with it still on the mend ill not be doing any thing on my own for a while, Boo whoo .

Sounds like a mechancs job any way , due to i lke to keep the econmey going , thats my lie for the day.

Thank you very much for all that info and will get it looked at .
slothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech