Huge Dilemma -- And I Dont Know What To Do - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2002, 19:04   #1 (permalink)

Huge Dilemma -- And I Dont Know What To Do

Ok now i am officially confused!!! i read the exhaust threads on the forum and saw that everyone has an opinion. I rang up three places today for the EF XR for some qoutes to make her breathe better and fart louder.

Qoute 1

Mandrel bent 2.5 inch triflow mufflers $330

Qoute 2

2 resonators tornado dead straight muffler $300

Qoute 3

2.5 inch 2 mufflers that are baffled or something $310

I specifically stated that i want no or as little drone as possible

and they did what was written on the forum and all had different opinions

Now could anyone who has an automatic EF or EL XR6 or any car for that matter that doesnt drone but sounds mad please tell me a place in melb where to go. Or if you could tell me which of these qoutes i should get. I am personally leaning towards qoute 2. Your opinions are greatly appreciated. And also do you have to disconnect the battery if you get the exhaust done ?
Thanks guys this is one mad forum community !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MelbXR6EF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2002, 19:27   #2 (permalink)

well i know on an EA a 2.5inch pipe with redback muffler and hotdog resonator sounds really good with no drone.
id say all those quotes are ok and would provide what you are after.
id go quote 2. especially if thats a genie tornado muffler
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 20:40   #3 (permalink)

No offence james, but an EA 3SPEED with a 2.5" redback muffler with hotdog resonator will drone on the freeway.

That's the EXACT system that I have and it drones only on the freeway. Only because my exhaust hits it's highest DB levels at 2400rpm, exactly the same RPM that I sit on when driving on the freeway. Obviously this isn't going to happen with your XR6 as you've got a 4speed, so you'll be cruising on or around 1600-1800rpm at 100-110kph? (correct me if i'm wrong) So with the DB levels reaching their peak at around 2500rpm, your won't get any real drone in your cabin with a 2.5" 1 hotdog, 1 muffler system.

However, driving around town and driving up to 85kph my three speed doesn't drone at all only on the freeway.

Personally, I would go a 2.5" Mandrel Bent (stainless if you can afford it) zorst, with a muffler and a hotdog resonator. I'd also recommend going Lukey, as they have a good reputation for sound when applied with a Ford 6.

Also, get em to check your cat since their down there. You might need to replace it, to take full advantage of your new zorst. But I wouldn't go a "hi-flow" cat, as they are a crock of shit and don't improve performance at all. Just go a standard 2.5" cat..

Dave
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 03:24   #4 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

Geeze, everyone has hotdog resonators on their exhaust, mine must be loud as then, because on my NA I have a 2.5 cat back exhaust with one single supercat muffler in it.... Ah i must be a glutton for noise punishment, because its really loud at 110km/h with the 3 speed and all!
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 04:21   #5 (permalink)

hmm i think there are different size hotdogs so maybe you had a different one. althought i dont know what rpm we did at 100 it definatley didnt drone.
it is an extremly quiet exhust at all revs. *shrug*
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech