i dont know whats wrong!! just wont run right - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2006, 20:25   #1 (permalink)

i dont know whats wrong!! just wont run right

Hi. I've been trying to fix my 94 F150 for a few months now. It has the 302. It was running fine and poof, it now only runs on about four cylinders, hard to tell, some plugs are wet and others seem to be fine, but not the same all the time. I had a mechanic look at it for a few days, he tested the computer, fuel pressure regulator, distributor(replaced), coil, timing chain, cam, and also put it on the tester, no codes came up. mechanically it all checks out. It idles at about 300 rpms, and will not accelerate at all. anybody with any kind of input would be great. Thanks
fordfun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2006, 03:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: i dont know whats wrong!! just wont run right

Hmm thats odd.
a wet plug would indicate non-firing...obviously.
There are two ways to check if the computer is sending fire signals. the first can be hazardus, esp if you have a pacemaker. Pull the plug lead and fit another plug to it (outside the engine). Earth it and crank the engine and see if you get a spark. The second is less dangerous. If you have a decent timing light, you can clip it on to each lead with the engine running. If it not firing, the timing light will not pulse.

I am not sure if your truck has a distributor or coil packs. If it has coil packs the above method will identify which packs are faulty.
If it has a distributor, another thing you can do is run it in the dark and check for a rogue spark from the distributor cap....ie. you see blue sparks from the cap, then it is at fault.

Another item that could be wrong is the O2 sensor for that side, but i doubt it as you have fuel....although it could be oversupplying fuel (unlikely)

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:32   #3 (permalink)

Thanx for the reply Jas. it does have a distributor and i also checked for spark, noticed it was weak so i replaced it(the distributor), and recheked every plug and am getting a good blue spark from each plug now. so wet plugs must mean flooding. possible egr problems? I'm going to check that today. Any other guesses could only help. Thanx
Old 02-27-2006, 13:45   #4 (permalink)

well it wasnt the egr valve even though it was clogged at the valve, which i cleaned. ill try the fuel return line next, ill keep ya posted.
Old 04-25-2006, 20:32   #5 (permalink)

a number of people said that the ignition control module works or it doesnt. WRONG!!after checking and/or replacing just about everything, i decided to take the module in to napa to have it checked, it was bad!! put a new one in and bam!! it lives!! after 3 months of farting around with this thing it finally lives!!! it didnt send a code because it only sends info to the distributor and not to the comp. anyway i hope this helps anyone who is having this kind of problem
Old 04-25-2006, 21:24   #6 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Thanks for posting what the problem was fordfun7 as it may very well help out someone else.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:57   #7 (permalink)

Yes fordfun,
thanx also for the heads up...another in the knowledge base.

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech