I FEEL my car needs better ignition any ideas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2005, 01:30   #1 (permalink)
Nitrous oxide xf

I FEEL my car needs better ignition any ideas

car is worked but i feel my ignition is holding me back abit i went to a xe dizzy electronic. this is a comom move for mods with people doing the xf up. but needs more spark what is a good coil or some idea to get a good jolt the gt40s are no good so dont surgest that as they dont suit my car.
libbys_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2005, 01:32   #2 (permalink)
Nitrous oxide xf

Re: I FEEL my car needs better ignition any ideas

ps im carby not efi i want the big jolt any ideas dizzies, coils. i got good 10mm leads and good sparks but even recomend what sparks u have tried that are good. bring on the big bang
Old 07-08-2005, 20:04   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbys_xf
ps im carby not efi i want the big jolt any ideas dizzies, coils. i got good 10mm leads and good sparks but even recomend what sparks u have tried that are good. bring on the big bang
Weren't all XFs electronic anyway? Some had the XE type, and some had the you-beaut type with the MAP sensor, and the computer behind the kick panel (even on carby types....).

So, the question is; what did you have originally? It should have already been a high energy system, with a decent coil factory.
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:10   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Add an MSD ...Then keep from car to car...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 18:01   #5 (permalink)
Nitrous oxide xf

had the map. and ran to computer didnt like the cam when i put it in. wouldnt alow it to advance enough so went to xe electronic. nocked out the computer a bit of rewiring to do so. i just want a bit more spark im running the standard coil it sux
Old 07-09-2005, 18:05   #6 (permalink)
Nitrous oxide xf

taht fixed the problem with timing and seemed better spark by going to xe dizzy as a few of my mates had the same problem with there xf running through the eca ,aka atari 64 computer lol look i dont need to explain to u guys the importance of better spark. i no a bigger coil just what i a decent one
Old 07-09-2005, 18:13   #7 (permalink)
Nitrous oxide xf

i have done so much to this car but this is something i should have sorted out ealier but didnt know how far i was going with this car. eg another problem i had i should have just done from the start was harder valve springs and pushrods. went on dyno did shity. fixed valves spring on thursday ran on dyno on friday then ran 270hp with out nitrous but the techy said fix ya spark your car isnt running full potencial. so here i am any ideas guys
Old 07-10-2005, 01:24   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbys_xf
270hp with out nitrous
The Bosch Hybrid is actually a very good ignition system. It is normally only let down by poor plugs and/or leads. Spiral wound leads are a must, and a set of NGK 'v-type' plugs.

Was the ignition system hooked up to an oscilloscope while it was on the dyno, or is it just a guess that it is the ignition letting you down?

Has the dizzy been graphed to suit your engine?, as I think it would need something other than a standard curve with your HP.

If you want to change, then I would suggest a 6-series MSD. Take the cover off the side of your dizzy, and disconnect the Bosch module. Run the pickup coil wires directly to the MSD, and from the MSD back to the coil. Now, choice of coil....... what's your favourite colour?

Obviously, this is just my opinion........ I am not claiming to have built or set up countless numbers of 4.1L Falcons.
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:31   #9 (permalink)
Nitrous oxide xf

nice advice ill have a look in to that option let you no how it goes thanx dude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech