Ford Forums banner

i found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Troutman 
G
#1 ·
ive had this persistent prob with the engine cutting out whenever it feels like it, turned out that it was the fuel pump relay which is just in front of the coolant tank. It had bad terminals and connections, what a difference now.
I have also fitted electric fans, yes two of them a twin setup out of a nissan diesel bluebird or summat. A little trimmin and the whole shroud and all slid down behind the radiator. I started it up and left it running till it was quite hot then turned em on, could see the temp guage drop in seconds. Im happy!happyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappy

G
#2 ·
How much did it cost ya for the electric fans?? Did u install a thermo switch? or a dash switch??!? If i was gonna do this id try and mount the fan on the front of the radiator so it can push air thru rather than suck it in.. Did u notice any power gains with the fan belt removed?

Brent

G
#3 ·
fans

I paid 45 for the fans and 30 for a new thermo switch which went ti the spare hole on the thermostat housing. The switch is a 95-90 degree one(on at 95 off ay 90)
It gets up to r on normal then the fan comes on an it dropps to the a, fantastic i thought. the fans are behind the rad and fit beautifully. Draws about 13 amps. Cant say i noticed any major performance increase, but this conversion was half the price of a new viscous coupling.

G
#6 ·
cutting out

sometimes it would restart other times it wouldnt. i would need to shift to neutral, wait for the oil light to come on ie engine stopped turning, and restart. i used to do this without stopping on the open road, used to give the missus the shits
sofar it hasnt happened again, fingers crossed

G
#8 ·
Re: cutting out

jason, im not sure what car he has but my GL doesnt have a spare hole either... Ive got a coolant sensor, the temp sensor and a vacuum switching valve of some sort connected to the thermostat. Its got something to do with the heater...

Brent

#9 ·
Re: cutting out

The spare hole is for the A/C in a fairmont Ghia which is used in conjuction with the climate control to sense engine temp.It should be in the lower part of the housing with a allen key head in it.But there are some cars which do not have them depending on weather its still standard or aftermarket.The EA has the vaccum solenoid ( which opens the recirc duct when the vehicle overheats don't ask me why)where as EB onwards does not this could be the hole but there is a smaller hole on the Fairmonts.Best bet is to buy a later moder lower thermostate housing(i.e for high series cars) which comes with one anyway and is used as the CHT for the ECC and also to turn on the thermos.

Daavey where did you get your thermo switch from to screw straight into the housing.??Jaycar have NTC's and PTC's ( I think thats right)which open circuit below or above a set temp but these have to be glued onto a surface.Or is it one of Davies Crages devices.Did you use a reley and have you got it hard wired into the A/C??This you should do or your A/C system will not last.

Thanks Lukey.

G
#10 ·
switches blah blah

i have got a 89cfi gl wagon, no air con no bells or whistles.
i used a tridon switch ill have to go rummage in the shed for the pack, ill get back with those details, although so long as it has a 16mmby 1.5mm pitch thread which is quite common I got it from repco (remember im a kiwi!)for 24 bucks temp range 95 deg on 90 off, and yes i used a relay. Its all hard wired to the battery at the moment although ill run a wire in to the ign for the relay signal current. Im not pinching a feed off anything on the motor as i dont want to interfere with the ecu, especiall seeing as ive finally got it all goin perfect

#12 ·
Re: switches blah blah

Apparently the EL fans are more powerful. It sounds like a very worthwhile conversion, though personally I'd be most comfortable leaving it to an auto elec.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.