I got creative... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2002, 21:08   #1 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

I got creative...

Hey all

Just thought I would get on here and tell you all about my morning. First of all, i finally had my shocks rebuilt to suit my 30mm lowered springs, I have been meaning to do it since July but finally got the cash and motivation. So she'll be sitting nice by monday I reckon.

On the way home from the shock place I decided to drop into the local wreckers. There I picked up a complete EF EECV airbox, with lid, piping, and induction scoop thing. 20 bucks. I also scored a set of EF Door handles for 15 each (they need painting, all are different colours). Actually I only bought two, I will get the rear ones next fortnight.

The airbox struck my imagination as soon as i seen it. Those of you who have the EF inlet will know the air is sucked in through the bottom of the box, up thru the top. The EA sucks it through the top into the bottom. I noticed when looking at the EF airbox the intake pipe might just be the right size to fit the pipe running to my throttle body. So I took it home, bolted the box in, and hey presto, the intake worked. SO now I have a bigger airbox...but, now that the intake of the box is up the top facing the engine (my intake is now where the EF drew air from into the throttle body) so I ran that black flexi hose right back up the engine bay, tucking it just behind the windscreen washer bottle with the outlet sucking air in from the bonnet edge. Its made a HUGE DIFFERENCE, i get some fantastic induction noise, cant tell by seat of the pants if I got more power, but hey, im happy

Next thing I am doing is cutting a hole in the firewall right underneath the passenger side just below the windscreen. If you look at that plastic cowl, it has lots of grills feeding air in (and out) of that part of the car.......so im running my pipe into that. I will post pictures of it all when Its all done......

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2002, 21:39   #2 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

I like that - a bit of lateral thinking.

Need pics ASAP!

Well done sikEA
Old 10-17-2002, 21:52   #3 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

be careful exactly where you place it as the cowl is used for water drainage also......

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 00:31   #4 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

yeah, I know its used for water drainage, I will have to wait until I get some piping next week to see whether or not im going to have a shit load of water running into it. Will a small amount of water going into the intake, not a huge amount, affect the car? My old man reckons a small amount of water entering the donk will also help to cool the incoming air and therefore create more power.....a lot would evaporate by the time it got to the throttle body wouldnt you think?

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Old 10-18-2002, 01:54   #5 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

A slight mist of water wont hurt the engine, however, you may find that the water could clog up the filter, which won't help the car out at all.

Besides that, well done on the idea. It's always good to see people still using there heads to come up with something original.

Bring on the pics!

ciao
Old 10-18-2002, 15:52   #6 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

as bass crazy said a small amount of water wont hurt at all ( after all some people run water injection )
But yeah be careful where you place it and make sure you test it out by pouring water donw the cowl vent to see if any will enter the pipe ( do this without the pipe connected at the other end )
Good idea though....

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 17:24   #7 (permalink)

That is a great idea... now i have to go find a new air box, the only thing is.. i havent seen the ef box properly but with some modifications can u clip the lid on backwards and get air from the front of the car? Im sure the heat soak for the pipe would have some affect on cold air. Was just reading the ef box has the best air flow of all the falcons, so it a great starting point. And with your mod you dont need the ef manifold :)

and the other option you have is putting some holes in pipe or creating a reservior of some sort just in case some water gets in there, if your that worried of course.
madEAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 00:38   #8 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

That was my original plan to turn the lid around with the intake facing the front, but, due to the angle of the lid the bonnet doesnt close. I could do a cut and shut job, but personally I cant be bothered and really cant see enough room in the front to run a decent pipe....

Im going to run the pipe into the cowl like previously mentioned, and I will use some drainage holes in the pipe. Filters will need to be checked regularly, but thats ok with me. Even if I did get a lot of water in there (i wont, but cant explain how im going to set it all up.....I'll take pics this week) the intake hole in the bottom of the box isnt going to suck in any water from the bottom (and I doubt it will suck huge amounts in with the kind of vaccum going on, the water should pool in the bottom of the box)

Getting away from the point here, but I finally got the thing some rebuilt shocks and lowered springs (Kings, 30mm lows) I have to say THANK GOD I DID IT. The car is a lot nicer to drive, a lot firmer, body roll reduced greatly. Ride quality hasnt been affected too much, the shocks are only 25% stiffer to match the 25% stiffer springs. If anyone ever needs to replace shocks, I really suggest you get some heavier and slightly lower springs to suit, it transforms the car.....and I am yet to scrape on anything (i did crunch it going up a driveway, but that was a steep arse gutter and I did it straight on)

Take it easy everyone
sikEA

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech