I need to increase performance !!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2003, 01:08   #1 (permalink)
wanting 6 gears!

I need to increase performance !!!!!

I have a series 2 ea falcon s pack (4sp auto & mpi). Today i participated in a drag with a friend 90 model dihatsu charade 5sp man. I was terribly slow of the mark and was nearly raped. I really need to increase the performance in my car mainly from the word go. I can't spin the wheels and takes me along time to reach 50km though once I have reach 50 i can beat the charade. I was going to sell and buy a 4L eb manual but since I cant find one im gonna have to do something to my ea. I have a few questions

1. How much to have it changed to a 5sp Manual (live in brisbane anyone know any prices?)

2. How much are a set of extractors and will i get much more performance ?

Thats about the only 2 things I can think of to do to my car. Im in desperate need of help. I don't want to blow alot of money on the car but I want it to perform decently so please give me ALL your advice. thanks :) .. also... Should I be spending money on my car I should I save to buy a ef-el xr6 ?
blinkAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2003, 01:28   #2 (permalink)
now with EF power!

Ive heard that a manual conversion can cost anywhere from $800 - $1500, but from what i hear its worth it. It'd be my first major mod if i had the cash.

Extractors are good, but you need a good cat back exhaust system for them to achieve their full potential. You can get a good set of pacemaker extractors for about $400 I'm pretty sure. And a decent cat back exhaust (not including a high flow cat) should cost you about $300 - $500.

Another option you could go for which will be relatively cheap is changing the diff ratio. I know these are very good for helping you get off the line in a legal (yer right ) drag race. Try something like a 3.27 or 3.08 depending on what you already have in there. You can pick up a good condition diff for about $200 and its not that hard to install them yourself.

I think that you should put money into this car and keep it for a few years, have some fun in it. Then upgrade to something more refined, like the ef/l xr6's.

Thanks

Dane.

Mods List:
Kenwood head deck, Rockford Fosgate Punch Sub and Punch Amp....and hubcaps!!

My Gallery!
Proud TQE Operator
danege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 01:52   #3 (permalink)
Fairmont Ed

hey when ur racing hwo do u start off do u just slam down the accelerator and hope 4 d best ive lost so many times to lil barinas and charades coz i just slammed it down but now in my ed i give it half way its spins abit and takes off in front of the lil shitboxes they got no chance but then again i recently got extaractors and exhaust and havent raced since so i dont know if ill get a better take off i thinbk they just help over all driving and power in the long run coz my normal takeoffs are the same i think well try different styles of racing and see what happens ive got an auto aswell but im not changin coz its a crusin car not really racing style ist upto u
Nicksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 01:52   #4 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

Re: I need to increase performance !!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ss-gt
takes me along time to reach 50km
Hey mate, i have an Auto (4spd) 4litre ED, mines the same, but once it reaches about 60 it's a rocket.

If I was you, this is what I would do:
Convert to 5 Speed manual.
Get a 3.45 diff centre (out of say an ebxr6)
Get extractors & exhaust. (a kit inc extractors, 2.5" zorst & high flow cat should only cost you around $850)

Mason.
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:17   #5 (permalink)

manual, manual, manual :D
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 06:42   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Lower final drive's on auto's makes them smoke !! Fit a 3:7.. I'v been in an EB auto with 4:1's and the accelleration esp down low is neck breaking.. Need speedo corrector with that final drive...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 18:41   #7 (permalink)
wanting 6 gears!

ebxr8240 im not sure what you mean. Speaking about the diff arn't you ? How much are these to buy cause i just might do it :) Im thinking of maybe going to a manual is it hard to do ? My dad knows a decent amount about cars but can you do it on your own without a mechanic ? Also can i fit a 4L eb head instead of my 3.9L ea head ? If so are they expensive ? Actually is it even worht having a 4L head much performance increase ?
blinkAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 18:48   #8 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

this thread has a step by step guide on the transmission conversion

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...threadid=33910
Old 04-24-2003, 03:32   #9 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

I'd put 3.7:1 diff gears in the bum, a 2500rpm hi-stall, shift kit, extractors and cam.....that would really get you moving.....
I'd do them in this order though:
Diff
extractors & exhaust
hi-stall & shift kit
Cam

that's my 2.2c (gst inc.)

Dave.
-------------------------------
"Can't sleep, Clown'll eat me, can't sleep, clown'll eat me"
"I am the angel of death, the time of purification is at hand"
-------------------------------
fordboy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 04:00   #10 (permalink)

3.7:1 diff with an auto... won't that rev quite high on the highway? especially for an everyday car
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech