Ford Forums banner

I need a picture of an XF instrument cluster. help!

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  falconS 
G
#1 ·
*UPDATE* I need a picture of an XF instrument cluster. help!

I am currently working on a rather exciting instrument cluster modification for my XF-S but i havent got a scanner to scan a photo of my instrument cluster onto my computer. I plan to modify a photo of an instrument cluster first, so that if it looks crap i know not to waste my time on the real thing.

So please, anyone who can post a picture of an XF instrument cluster (it doesnt matter if it is an S-pac, GL or Fairmont, so long as it has the mechanical needle type speedo and tacho) onto this thread so that i can get to work on this idea.

I would be very grateful if someone can help me out. If the finished product looks the goods i will post some pics on here so you can all see what i have been up to. Thanking you all in advance.

#9 ·
Ask and ye shall receive :)

http://austin.axg.net/digicam/xfcluster.jpg

Its a bit dodgy, i took it at night with the flash.
During the day it would look a lot better.. but hopefully its what your after.

[EDIT] Sorry dude I just realised you were after a tacho too! My damn GL hasnt got one :argue2:

G
#10 ·
thats ok, the XF tacho is basically the same as the speedo, only difference is the numbers (0-6 x1000 rpm instead of 0-180 km/h)

thanks a heap for that, i will post a photoshopped pic on here soon, then perhaps the real thing.

just one more thing? i hope this isnt asking too much but could you please take another one jusst a few inches furthur away so that the whole dash is in the picture? I will start on this one but that would be muchly appreciated.

thanks.

G
#12 ·
Here 'tis!

Well , here's my first effort, as you can see the 'exciting mod' i talked about is not really a big deal, i just said that to draw attention!

Anyway, i think it looks pretty good, and i would love to do it but there is one problem. The grey cross-hatched facia that i have replaced with black cannot be reached. I pulled my cluster apart and the clear plastic lens cannot be removed, it is glued on!

I dont know what this will do to my plans, i need to rethink this.

By the way, sorry for the poor photo-shopping job but i was in a hurry.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

P.S- as you can see, i have turned XF Falcons GL dash pic into a S-pac instrument cluster, which explains why it looks a little out of whack, but it was the best i could do in a hurry.

Attachments

#13 ·
It does come off, just run a small flathead screwdriver along the glue to break the seal. The clear plastic is held on with clips as well. They are fun to get off...

I have thought of putting black contact or a big ford badge instead of that 80's green squares thing

G
#14 ·
Aaron, can you explain in a little more detail what you mean about putting black contact or a ford badge over that green squares thing? You are aware that in the S-pac that green squares thing houses all your gauges (volts, oil pressure, engine temp. and fuel) as well as the clock?

Also, i already tried to break the seal, ended up cracking the plastic in one corner so i decided to leave it alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.