Idling probs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2001, 12:42   #1 (permalink)
boof

Idling probs

Hi Guy's
I've got a ef XR8 that at about 800rpm to about 1300rpm runs rough. Have tried different fuels and no difference.I need a few Ideas as my local ford deal is unable to fine problem.Timming has been checked.It has come down from the spect of 30degs +/-2 and its set at 26degs.Has any one else had these problems? It pings its bum off when back up around 30deg.
Can anyone give us some ideas thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2001, 18:28   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

good day
to get the best out of your XR8 its best to run it on premium unleaded and run the timing at 30 degress as far as the vibration check the harmonic balancer but you will proberly have to remove it to check it it is not that hard to do this is the poss cause for the motor pinging due to the balancer has slipped does it feel like a vibrationplease let me know
johnmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 19:12   #3 (permalink)
boof

Hi johnmans, sorry I took so long to get back to you. Been working alot. Had a look at harmonic balancer seemed o.k. Took it off & replaced it but know difference .I only use unleaded fuel but been tring different brands( shell, mobil ect). thanks for your info ... boof..
Old 08-10-2001, 10:24   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

I have driven heaps of v8 falcons and they doo idle a little rough but if yours is ilding really rough you should get some one to look at it have you tried starting the engine with out the torque convertor bolted up it can be done maybe one of the wiegths have fallen off the convertor
regards john
Old 08-10-2001, 10:24   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

I have driven heaps of v8 falcons and they doo idle a little rough but if yours is ilding really rough you should get some one to look at it have you tried starting the engine with out the torque convertor bolted up it can be done maybe one of the wiegths have fallen off the convertor
regards john
Old 08-10-2001, 18:07   #6 (permalink)
boof

johnmans,
My is a manual and I've had a v8 before years ago but it nis idling rough around the rev range I said before. I have found a place that can dyno the car and they do only fords and from '94 onwards, so I'm going to give them a try. I'll keep you up to date. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-12-2001, 18:24   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

maybe a duno wont fix your problem is it vibrating or is it just rough you could have callapsed engine mounts is it worse with your ac on please let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech