Ford Forums banner

Ignition Barrel on XB Fairmont

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  brenx 
#1 ·
Hey all, I've been hiding in the background around here for a while now, mainly scabbing pics of cars to save to my hard drive, but I've just signed up to ask for some help from anyone who can offer it.

I had a Locksmith come out today to try and remove the ignition barrel out of my XB Fairmont. The ignition runs off the right hand side of the steering column, and is surrounded by a square-ish molded shroud. I couldn't get it out, and the Locksmith couldn't get it out. He drilled a lot of the barrel out so that we could get the car started [it seized up, hence my need to remove it], but couldn't get the actual barrel out of the housing. He reckons that on a lot of cars there is a release pin which when pushed, causes the barrel to pop straight out. We can't see the whole of the housing because we haven't taken the shroud off from around it [factory fitted air-con means that getting to two bolts holding the steering column in place is quite a big job], so we don't know where the release pin is. There is a screw which goes through the bottom of the shroud into the bottom of the barrel. We stuck a pin-file into the screw hole, but there was no pin or anything in there.

My question: Has anyone had to remove the ignition barrel on an XB Fairmont ['74 model], and do they know how it is done? Any help would be greatly appreciated as it could save me big dollars if I am forced to pull the air conditioner out.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've done it a few times. You need to have the ignition key in the on position and press a button which is hidden by the phillips head screw at the bottom of the ignition shroud.

Once you press on the button leave the key in the on position and pull it toward yourself. The ignition will just pop out ;)

Brenden

#3 ·
Well, after all the trouble that this bloke and I had last night over a two hour period, I am pleased to say that thanks to the help of Brenx, I've just walked outside at 4:40am, in the dark, and walked back inside at 4:50am, still dark, with an ignition barrel in my hand.

Thanks very much, Brenx. You know you've found a good set of forums when the members there are more helpful with locking issues than a Locksmith.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.