Ford Forums banner

Ignition module and coil durability?

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  brenx 
#1 ·
My engine was completed in Oct 2001. Everything brand new except alternator and starter motor.

I am curious to find out whether anyone else has had or is having issues with ignition modules and coils prematurely failing.

My coil failed last night 17 months old roughly and my igntion module failed 13 months old.

You can see the type of igntion module I run (generic GM style). The distributor is a US designed Ford Motorcraft. Similar to Accel (super stock).

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/brenx/XBENG2.JPG
I am pretty sure I found out why the igntion module failed. I think it failed due to lack of heat compound between the distributor and ignition module.

My coil is mounted on the passenger side head. Just a bosch MEC/V 717 electronic ignition coil. Could heat coming via the head cause the coil failure?

My mates had a barrel style coil for 5+ years and never had an issue. The only problem is the barrel style produces smaller spark. So I don't want to stick one of them on.

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/brenx/engineleft26-12-2002.jpg
So before I go and purchase another same style coil. What do you guys/girls think?

Whats everyone here running on their Clevo's.

Brenden

See less See more
#3 ·
That option isn't realy viable as I already have the electronic ignition and I am not looking to replace it. The XR700 is a replacement ignition system for a points distributor. My main concern is coil failure as its a pain in the backside when it happens. Always when I am miles away from home too.

If I were to replace it? I'd go full system Crane HI6. A much better system and requires less than the XR700. For the $$$ involved a HI6 is better value and you don't need to purchase any extras.

I am just curious to find out what other people are running on their clevelands.

My engine is mildly worked. Still stock stroke and 30thou over bore but has seen rev's upto 8500rpm in testing.

Brenden

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.