Ignition Problems..Truck won't turn off... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 11:39   #1 (permalink)

Ignition Problems..Truck won't turn off...

I have a 1991 f150 with a 302 and when the truck shut off by the key it just kept on going. I had to disconnect coil to get it to shut off. After I reconnected the coil the dash lights came on like the key was in the run position but the key was in my pocket????? I could start it by jumping the coil but it would not start with the key. I have replaced the key cylinder and it still does the same. Any help of where to go next would be great.
arb12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 18:40   #2 (permalink)
GRANDMARAUDER

Re: Ignition Problems..Truck won't turn off...

you might have wires touching at the stater because of head melting the protective covering off the wires. Or if you have done any steering column work you might have wires touching there!!!
jsenurquhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 20:13   #3 (permalink)
She's getting there!!!

I would go with the steering column for sure. One of my employees just replaced the ignition in his 1991 F150 three times but to no avail!! He ended up paying someone to come out and replace a part in the column. Best of luck
74inprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 19:53   #4 (permalink)

I'm having the exact same problem with my 5.0 mustang. I also replaced the key cylinder but now the stearing wheel wont lock at all, and i can only get the car to start by jumping it or push starting it and it will only turn off if i kill it. if anyone knows how to fix this i would appreciate it.
glenjamin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 20:17   #5 (permalink)

I talked to my uncle and he told me that he,s possitive that its the ignition rack or he said its could also be called the ignition actuator. Its a little piece if alluminum in the stearing colum that breaks sometimes. I called autozone and its only a $10 part.
glenjamin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech