ignition timing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2003, 00:06   #1 (permalink)
Lost in FF

ignition timing

ok both mine and my mums car (ea and el) are in at the mechanic getting the TFI replace aswell as the whole dizzy (say you have to replace the whole thing which i think is a pile of SH!T) anyway they haven't touched my car yet, but on my mums they can't fix the timing, they have treid and then followed the wookshop manual and still can't do it... any ideas anyone???
thanks
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2003, 00:19   #2 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Hmmm - replacing the whole dizzy sounds sus all right. I've heard that if replacing the module it's also fairly normal to also replace the pickup gizmo inside the dizzy (hall effect device?) - but the whole dizzy....???

As far as setting the timing, all I can think of is that if they haven't basically screwed something in the location of the dizzy then maybe they're not properly grounding the STI pin?

Geez, I hope it's not that the ECU is fried!

- another thought is that they might be trying to fit a dizzy off an EFI XF or something? - the module will certainly look superficially the same (don't know about the rest of the dizzy) but they're definitely not compatible.

- something else too - I've got an EL ECU in my ED and I've found that the Self Test Mode can be a bit picky in when it comes in properly - ie. when I tried to get it to go into self test with the timing too far advanced it just didn't want to know - but as the timing got closer to the proper 4 degree point it behaved properly - ie. there was the correct increase then drop off in revs (which it simply didn't want to do with the timing up past ten degrees or so).
Old 06-03-2003, 00:27   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

I agree replacing the whole dizzy is a bit extreme if only the module is gone. Maybe take yours some place else.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:00   #4 (permalink)

check ya coils! mine had cracks in it and was throwing the spark in all directions... makeing it look like the distributor was worn, i replaced the dizzy thinking that it was it, but infact it was the coil.. get them to check the spark before they touch your car.

snotty
snotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:46   #5 (permalink)
Lost in FF

yeah we replaced the dizzy in mine but got the wrong one at first (mpi for a cfi) so we got the right one.. i don't think they've touched mine yet.. my mums car got towed there after it wouldn't start and they said it was the module and ordered in a new dizzy and now can't get the timing right... i'll find out more in the morning hopefully...
hope its not the ecu (touch wood)
Old 06-03-2003, 03:19   #6 (permalink)

Most mechanics will normally replace the complete dissy simply because it's cheaper to buy one and fit it as opposed to buying a module and pickup and fitting it seperately....there's also the issue of worn shaft bushes
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:25   #7 (permalink)
Lost in FF

yeah its costing my mum almost $500 and for mine its only costing me the labour... (i already paid for the dizzy $50 mates rates from a wreckers)
Old 06-03-2003, 17:04   #8 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

xe351 - surely a dizzy would be dearer than the $150 a new module and hall effect gizmo would cost?

Installing the module is about a 15 minute job - and the pickup shouldn't be more than an hour (it's a bugger as the top of the dizzy has to come off etc.).
Old 06-03-2003, 23:17   #9 (permalink)
Lost in FF

****!!!
alrigth i got my car back it cost me $181 all they needed to do was swap the dizzies and tune it.. i told them un monday not to worry about the leads etc as i would do them today, the changed them.

second..
they put the new dizzy into my mums but couldn't get it tuned properly, so they got new leads etc still didn't help price is upto $800 then we get a call sorry your car still isn't ready as we have to replace something (talked to my mum) C...... converter... as its still running rough an extra $400 dollars .. something to do with the fuel running from somewhere and doing something.....
does this sound like a rip off??
it seems very hit and miss to me...
also if any of you guys think this is wrong is there anything we can do about it??? thanks
Old 06-03-2003, 23:18   #10 (permalink)
Lost in FF

ohh yeah and they removed the heat shielding thing from under the bonnet on my car
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech