Installing 6.5" splits in the front door - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2002, 03:32   #1 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Installing 6.5" splits in the front door

Now that I have my door trims off, I am gonna slot my 6.5" splits in. I have to use the spacer that comes with the speakers to fit the 6.5"s into the 5.25" hole, no probs.

However, I need to flush mount the tweeters somewhere, I might have to cut a hole in the door to fit them in.

Has anyone done this?

I don't wanna cut holes until someone can offer me advice as to the best way of doing it.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2002, 03:37   #2 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Wont the tweeter fit up inside the standard mounting hole in the dash right under the windscreen?
If you are fitting 6.5's i guess they wont be sitting behind the door trims?
Old 08-05-2002, 03:41   #3 (permalink)
Proud BA XR6 Owner!

Firstly.... It might be possible to get your door itself cut to flush mount your 6.5's. Talk to a reputable car audio joint.

Secondly... why are you wanting to put the tweeter in the door! The whole point of a tweeter is to into the dash, to make the treble come from a different angle, and therefore sound better. In each corner of the dash, therre is a small cavity to put tweeters, and you have a fairmont so there might even already be something in there. Poke around and see what you can find.

Hope that helps

Chris
TOX|C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 03:51   #4 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Where on the dash?

diagram?
Old 08-05-2002, 04:01   #5 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

Ok, I don't have a diagram, but I'll try and explain it a little better...

Right up, under the base of the windscreen, is a piece of plastic that runs full width of the car (It's like part of the dash, but made from a different type of plastic), in each end of it are some round holes that look like 3 or 4 inch speaker holes. These are where the tweeters are on the more prestigious models.

Clear as mud???

Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 04:01   #6 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

look down in the very corner were your windscreen meets the dash and you will see a little grill thing with a small allen head screw holding it in. I am about 2 do it when i decided on wot splits 2 get - looks as if it will be a bitch of a job.
Old 08-05-2002, 04:30   #7 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Oh... I don't like bitch jobs... :(
Old 08-05-2002, 05:25   #8 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

its a piece of piss to get out, all it is 2 allan key bolt things and just a few clips holding it in, after the allan key bolt things are out it just pops off. I dont know what it's like to get the wires up there tho, the drivers side will probably be easy but i dont know about the passenger side
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 06:14   #9 (permalink)

I got 6.5 inch JBL coaxials put into my front doors and they fitted fine, the tweeter is very close to touching the grille, but that wouldn't be a problem for splits.

As far as I know the doors on the ed are identical to the ea, so shouldn't the speakers fit straight in?

rock on,

Matt
MattMackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 09:47   #10 (permalink)
Layabout

Two schools, one is to have the tweeter as close as possible to the main driver elimating any multipathing and time delays. The other is putting the tweeter up the front to project the sound forward and to raise where the sound horizon is. The best way is to install the 6.5's in the door and put some blue tack on the back of the tweeter and move it around the cabin. Tweeters are very directional and little changes in position and direction can make alot of difference. As long as it sounds good for you that's the important point. If you're putting the 6.5 in the stock position, then putting the tweeter in the A pillar might be the go.
I put my DDDrives in the bottom of the door in my EA where the map holder was, angled slightly upwards. I put the tweeters in the dash as mentioned, angled slightly towards the center of the cabin. I tried to get the distance from the midrange and the tweeter to my ear to be as close as possible.
The only other problem with the dash is the heat and sun, but not much can be done about that. I throw a rag over them when it's parked in the sun.
EADan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech