Ford Forums banner

Intake pipe

7K views 51 replies 27 participants last post by  greg6099 
#1 ·
Had this done for a little while now but I thought I'd throw up some pics.

(see below, because my links sucked...)

The kit comes almost complete from Herrod, the only extra thing you may need is a rubber bump stop to cover the old intake pipe mount which you cut down, as the pipe sits over this.

The right hand section of the pipe needed some minor trimming to be a perfect fit, but otherwise it's a prety easy install.

No idea of the kW gain if any, but the throttle response is improved and I've noticed an increase in fuel economy. Also looks better!

#4 ·
Just a question Mark...

Wouldn't all that metal piping make the intake temperature higher? I can understand the feeling of better throttle response with the larger diameter pipe, but wouldn't the higher induction temperature actually rob you of a bit of power?

Please correct me if I'm wrong - for all I know I could be totally talking out of my butt there.

Cheers
Jason

G
#6 ·
Hey Venom XR,how much better economy are you getting since you did the change or are you losing it through wanting to feel the improvement in the get up n go?

How many peso's for the kit?

Does it come with a different (larger) fitting for the airbox? could be what I'm lookin for, to perk up the wagon. Gotta convince the bean counters though...

Does look real nice

#8 ·
Rastus said:
Thanks for the pics and info Venom. I'll be sending one of the guys at work to Herrods to get one of them for his EF XR6. Just what he's after.

let me know how much.i`m after one for my ef xr6 as well. maybr herrods could do a discount for fordforums regulars??

#9 ·
Oh, I should have mentioned - you need an EF airbox lid to fit the larger 80mm diameter pipe. The EF lid is the best flowing anyway, so it's a good addition.

You might also have to trim the bonnet insulation, as the rubber join was rubbing against it and wearing it away.

The increase was especially noticable on highways, I think I got my best ever mileage. At one stage my k's travelled + DTE was over 920k's.

HPC coating in and out means it repels heat soak, and is much better than the plastic pipe.

The only change since those pics were taken is a nice shiny Herrod sticker on the airbox. :s3

#14 ·
you can also get an exhaust shop to make you one, and then get it HPC coated - i got my dad to get this done to his car ages ago, after reading in a street machine magazine, they got a stocko EF I6 and did differnt mods to it to see what happens, they got about 3-4kW at the wheels at the top end from the pipe with coating.

the exhaust shop dad went to had already done this a few times so they knew what we meant, i think it cost about $170-200 at mates rates, we had to fit it ourselves.

not quite as good looking as the Herrod job, but if it works...

#15 ·
Falkeen, just the lid. Is has a larger diameter pipe entry, and also has an inner pipe that collects air from the centre of the panel filter.

That pic above shows a BADLY done job. With no rubber join, the pipe has no flex when the engines shifts during revving. Doesn't look like there is any mounting either but it could be wrong because the pic is small. The Herrod pipe uses an existing mounting point above the airbox, and adds one on the rocker cover using a replacement cover bolt. You install the pipe with a bit of compression in the rubber join as the engine will always shift away when revving so you want to allow for that natural extension.

#19 ·
So no one has bought one? I'm guessing around $300 for the intake.

I have sent them an email to ask about several products and Brad Garlic Ford at Ryde.

I will post prices when quoted.

#20 ·
For the intake pipe, fitted with K&N filter $550. WIll not supply parts, only fit. They have a name to protect and don't want any shoddy workmanship destroying their name.

Also, extractors and cat for EF I6 $1400!!!

I think I will go to an exhaust shop and see what they can do... There is a HPC place on the Sutherland line to the city somewhere... might investigate..

I will also talk to a plumber or air conditioner tech and see if they have heat shielded 3inch somethin? :) worth a try.

Just read a Street machine article from 1996 about EF's and how to get more power out of the 6. They have a very similar shape intake pipe to the Herrods one. No convoluted joiner and it looked like shite, but it was the same shape.

cheers.

#23 ·
I know it's a quality product..... $130 for the K&N filter, $60 for labour. I don't need either. and i can't buy the piece of pipe and rubber bits on their own, so i will look elsewhere.

There is probably $50 worth of 3" tube, 1 hour tops to bend it. I don't know how much it would cost to HPC it or polish it.

Protecting their name is a cop out. Any clown can go and buy porsche parts and fit them to a car, does that effect porsche? No.

#25 ·
xl250 said:
Protecting their name is a cop out. Any clown can go and buy porsche parts and fit them to a car, does that effect porsche? No.
I have to disagree here. Rob does top notch work and has a reputation to uphold. If he wanted to just make a buck he could sell the parts and let any fool install it. He takes pride in what wears the Herrod name and that alone is one hell of a statement.

A poor fitment of a porsche product by any fool on the side of the road does affect the porsche name in more ways than you think. The person whose vehicle it is on is now if he does not know better blaiming Porsche for the problems in fitment and the part failing. He tells someone and they tell someone else.

This is the same with Rob's gear. Why let someone do a poor install of it and with them not knowing better blame Rob for the problem. Them telling others that they got the part at Herrod and as you can see it does not work. That could make a sale that he would have had now go away.

If you want to have a Herrod product let him install it. If you want a cheap knock off then go and buy parts and fit them yourself. That is your choice. BUt Rob has a reputation in the Ford Community for building and Modding some serious machines. There is no need to knock it because you feel it is too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.